Salt Water Spinning Reel Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
    Another reel to look at is the new Shimano NASCI that was just released. I played with it at AllTackle this morning and was floored by how smooth it was. It is only a matter of time before I add one to my arsenal. At $100 I was very impressed!
    I was also wondering about this reel. Heard good things so far, but then again they are as all smooth as butter in the store.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Not sure if any of these meet your definition of affordable ($200-300), so here goes: The Spheros and Saragosa are much more salt water resistant than the Clash, Stradic and other lower end reels due to better sealing. The difference being one more bearing in the Saragosa that the Spheros. Both of these are quality reels. Do not buy the JDM version of the Spheros that has a pot metal gear (sold on Ebay and other fine), instead the American market Spheros with its machined aluminum geared reel is a better choice. The new slammer III will likely hold up to splashing and occasional dunkingc but does not have the user experience that these other reels do.

In saltwater, the Clash, Stradic, and SSV series can suffer from corrosion that affect reel smoothness or function, but they are all good reels if well maintained and serviced.

Some people would rather buy cheap and frequently service. These reels include the old vintage 704z/706z. These reels do not like braid but will tolerate fireline. They are kinda heavy for most bay kayaking. They are tanks.

A cheap baitcaster option is the Daiwa Aird coastal which I have had splashed a few times but it hasn't been dunked and only had it a few months. I dunno how the Quantum Accurist that J. Skinner uses handles dunking and splashing. Conventionals include Avet SX/SXJ, Shimano Calcutta 400Te's or better. Parts for the latter are becoming harder to come by. The Avet can have issues with bearings if you don't know how to properly manage the drag setting. The Avets are tough little reels otherwise and are tunaworthy. Again, these might be too heavy for most bay purposes.

Comment

Well.... you question was about saltwater reels... and you didn't state "inexpensive."

And there have been a lot of comments about "cheap" ala "inexpensive."

I have no experience with a reel over $40 except just spinning them up on the rack at the store.
        And most certainly... when I pick up a reel over $100 they sure do spin smooth.

As my other el'cheapo reels died... I bought a Shimano Sienna FD Spinning Reel (4000 Saltwater Rated) at Dick's for $30.
        That was about three years ago.. it's been dunked a bunch of times.
        And shows no signs of rust or wear.
        And since have bought, when they go on sale for $20, two more... And always use them.

As previously mentioned.. there's a differnce between "ocean" salt and "bay" salt.
        My oldest Shimano Sienna FD has not seen "ocean" but sure gets main stream "bay" salt.

I can certainly appreciate the feel of a$100 plus reel when I pick them up at the rack at the store.

Obviously... if got the bucks.. well.. 'nuff said....

For the newbies.. and maybe you... try the Shimano Sienna FD Spinning Reel (4000 Saltwater Rated) at Dick's.
        Mine have, sure do work well, and the oldest Shimano Sienna FD doing just great.

From my othe sports I can cerntainly appeciate the connoisseur of equipment.....
        But $300 for a fishing reel.. well that's a camping trip or a lot of gas money for the year.

If the the Shimano Sienna FD Spinning Reel (4000 Saltwater Rated) was pure junk,
        I wouldn't have three.

For me.. well... I'm poor and cheap... so my garage isn't filled with expensive equipment.

But my list of fishing trips... well... that garage if stuffed and filled quite frequently.
        I just don't post them here very much....
        Last edited by rob-kayak; 08-25-2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
          Another reel to look at is the new Shimano NASCI that was just released.
          I have been eyeing these as well. I have a mix of Stradics and Lews Pro SS spinning reels as my "nice" reels and a few Okumas as my beaters. The Okumas have held up very well to some less than careful treatment and for $30-50 seem perfect for an occasional use reel.
          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
            I have been eyeing these as well. I have a mix of Stradics and Lews Pro SS spinning reels as my "nice" reels and a few Okumas as my beaters. The Okumas have held up very well to some less than careful treatment and for $30-50 seem perfect for an occasional use reel.
            +1 on Okuma for me
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I took a chance on the Shimano Nasci 3000. I have used it several times and it's been great so far. Smooth. Casts great. 20lbs of drag. For the price and features, it's going to be tough to beat. I have not used it in salt water yet, so I cannot give any feedback as to the durability in that aspect. Keep in mind that the "salt" levels in the mid-upper bay are not very high, so I do not consider this actual "salt water" fishing. However, as with most gear, take care of it and it will last. I'll be buying another Nasci soon.

Comment

I was going to pull the trigger on the battle 2, but after reading the specs and Hawk's report on the new Daiwa BG SW, I'm going with it.
                Jay

10' Green Slayer
                13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                  +1 on Okuma for me
                  +2 on Okuma from me. Have had some better than ten years and abuse the hell out of them and they just keep going. Sand, salt and in the water and a quick rinse at the end of the and I haven't even ever taken one apart. All ran about $30-$50 and consider them a great bargain and nice reels.

Comment

Penn fierce all day all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Zack
                    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Just ordered the Shimano NASCI 4000. Will report on it when I get some pullage.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                      X