Suggestions for Fresh Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Fresh Water

I haven't done much fresh water fishing since moving to MD, I've mostly stuck to the bay and the rivers near where they dump into the bay. That being said I'm trying to diversify my portfolio so to speak and get into a little pond/lake fishing, mostly for LMB, Smallies, Crappie...

I live in Pasadena and work in the Jessup area so I was hoping for suggestions in/around those areas that are easy to get to and fish (from the bank) just to scratch the itch so to speak. I'm not trying to move in on someone's honey hole so please don't think that... I'm just not sure what ponds are public, or even what ponds hold fish... if there's a website I've missed somewhere please point me at it!!
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

Google maps is a great resource for finding small ponds. Most show up as blue on the basic map view. My biggest bass have come from ponds found that way. Some times it takes getting permission from a land owner but a lot are reasonably assumed to be public without any issues. Don't discount small steams you may drive over as well. I've found some easily accessible areas in Harford county where a shallow stream gets 4-5 feet deep and holds good fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

Comment

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pa...ots/index.aspx

scroll down to your county
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
        Google maps is a great resource for finding small ponds. Most show up as blue on the basic map view. My biggest bass have come from ponds found that way. Some times it takes getting permission from a land owner but a lot are reasonably assumed to be public without any issues. Don't discount small steams you may drive over as well. I've found some easily accessible areas in Harford county where a shallow stream gets 4-5 feet deep and holds good fish.
        Thanks, I've been scouring google maps, thats been my go-to lately.

Originally posted by jet View Post
        Thanks!
        - Justin
        2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
        2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

If ya don't mind the drive check out Smallwood state park on Mattawoman Creek in Indian Head. It's fresh tidal and holds tons of different freshwater species (including snakeheads!) Also St.Mary's lake (watershed) is excellent...tons of big Pike/Pickerel there!

also i know you said you wanted to keep it close..and these arnt really that close to our area of residence.. but are good for a weekend trip.
          Zach Bennett
          Linthicum MD
          2014 Hobie Outback
          Instagram: YakinZak
          Youtube: YakinZak
          Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

The lakes in Columbia are filled with fish! Lake Kittamaqundi, Wilde lake, centennial lake. All good close spots. Perfect for an evening after work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Justin,

I'm also in Pasadena. I really enjoy fishing the Eastern Shore ponds. They're not that far away, really -- Wye Mills, Tuckahoe and Unicorn. However, they tend to "slime up" in the summer with algae and duckweed along the edges where I like to cast. So typically I fish them in the spring and early summer. However this year I am going to try to visit them in the fall and see what they produce.

Last year I joined a group of kayakers for a "pond-hop" on 31 December. It was unseasonably warm last New Year's Eve. We visited Wye Mills in the morning and Tuckahoe in the afternoon. We each caught largemouth bass and crappie.

Anyway, consider a trip across the bridge. The ponds offer freshwater fun.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Can't go wrong with the Potomac river. Big Slack water area above dam #4. Or out of Seneca Md.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

For a close to home spot try yates pond its just down from ft smallwood park you can walk back but not much access or you can paddle to beach off rock creek and pull your yak over to pond. Bass are not that big but it scratches that itch
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                    ironically enough, under Anne Arundel portion, none listed are located in Anne Arundel County hah!
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I am far more of a freshwater then saltwater guy, and regularly hit most of the small ponds in AA and PG counties. None of them are great, but they are arranged such that I can hit a few of them in a day. My typical "route" is to start at Cedarville or Myrtle Grove, then hit Merkle WLS, then either Governor's Bridge or Cash Lake. They are all more or less topwater/punching only right now, but one of them is bound to produce on a given day.
                      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                        I am far more of a freshwater then saltwater guy, and regularly hit most of the small ponds in AA and PG counties. None of them are great, but they are arranged such that I can hit a few of them in a day. My typical "route" is to start at Cedarville or Myrtle Grove, then hit Merkle WLS, then either Governor's Bridge or Cash Lake. They are all more or less topwater/punching only right now, but one of them is bound to produce on a given day.
                        You are really close!

Every so often some guy finds the big fish and posts them online, then I bucket them over to another pond, so look around they are there. Don't post anything over 6 lbs though...

Comment

Working...
                        X