Patuxent River Keeper Rockfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent River Keeper Rockfish

Went kayaking with my girlfriend. Took my big tuna and brought along a friend in a sit in pelican kayak. Plan was to just paddle around and explore the nearby creek. Launched around 5:00 pm something. Pretty much as soon as we had launched I saw fish breaking all over. My buddy isn't to big on fishing so I just put out my two rods trolling as we paddle the shore line towards the creek mouth. First hit, slam rod is down, 22" rockfish. Girlfriend decided to work on her baitcasting reel skills to cast, while we're still trolling then got tangled up. Headed around the point and trolled down the creek awhile. Nothing. Explored a lot without trolling in the creek. Got late and we all agreed to make it back to the main river for sunset. So as we paddle back out of the creek I put two rods out again. When we paddled up to our spot fish were still all over breaking, it was crazy. Caught one tiny 12" fish. Then another around 23" or 24, then a few more shorts. The sun went down and it was beautiful. My friend had pulled way ahead, I couldn't make progress, cause I kept hooking up. So I was paddling about to pull up the rods and another strong take down. Nice fish around 25". I decided to reel up line and head in after that. I left the fish still bitiing. All fish today were released. Amazing day on the lower pax. May have to hit the hole again after work if I can pull a half day haha.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Dsmdave; 08-23-2016, 11:45 PM.

sweet, thanks for sharing!
    sigpic

Comment

Good work. I'm glad to hear more reports of keeper-sized fish in kayak accessible areas. I found a 26" striper in the lower Patuxent a few weeks ago, but the rest of my catches that day were smaller fish.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah I saw your report. I'm humbled by you. I always go fishing that way and usually you will catch rockfish along shoreline from Broomes island down past the park. Sometimes they are not as big haha.

Comment

Nice job man! Everytime I take my fiance fishing I either get skunked or catching nothing worth keeping her interested haha.
          Zach Bennett
          Linthicum MD
          2014 Hobie Outback
          Instagram: YakinZak
          Youtube: YakinZak
          Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

When I first read the title I thought you were the Patuxent River Keeper. I then realized it was just a great story about some nice sized rockfish. Great job and kudos for the release, I find them too tasty to do that.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Haha Big Mike, I wish I was keeper of the river, none shall pass haha. Yeah the first fish had a sore on its side and it was late and I was in a hurry to get my friend home or they would have been supper.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinzak View Post
                Nice job man! Everytime I take my fiance fishing I either get skunked or catching nothing worth keeping her interested haha.
                Shoot, my girlfriend loves fishing. Sometimes she even outfishes me.

Comment

For how much I like fishing the Patuxent I rarely hook anything of decent size. I usually fish between the Solomons bridge and base.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X