Colton's Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colton's Point

Big Mike and I met up at Cather Marine at 5:45 am this morning for a 6 am launch- nothing goes as planned- somehow coming down route 5 my Hobie scupper cart came out of my pickup truck and was lost- bummer...and both our electronics were on the fritz- that should have told us something, but ever the adventure, we sallied forth into a southeast wind steady around 10...we headed out into swells and chop to Heron Island Bar...about a mile and a half...we fished the bar briefly before we agreed that it was just too damn rough and uncomfortable- saw birds but they were only working over small stripers- headed back across the channel to Colton's Bay...I landed a couple of school striper before getting a nice keeper striper to the boat where it tangled the other line....and I tried to pull it in with the line- the hook pulled as the fish cleared the water- damn! Finally got across the rough water, fished the bay shoreline and picked up six nice white perch before throwing in the towel- coming back out of Colton's Bay headed to the marina was pretty dicey riding the following swells...the falling tide was fighting the wind and it was chopping up...tired and pissed I lost a scupper cart- loaded up by muscling the kayak up the ramp and into the bed of the truck- still had enough in the tank to get back to the house where I promptly took a nap...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Ron outfished me today, which wasn't too difficult as I was busy aiming the yak into the next swell. He failed to mention the swell that slapped his boat and soaked his butt, according to him a first in his Elite seat. I was trailing Ron when his big striper hit, it was great seeing the water boil behind his kayak and then the rod double over. Never get tired of seeing that.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Yep- it was first time my butt got wet since going to the Jackson Elite seat, Mike- and the one big swell that popped me soaked me to the skin all over- not just my butt...but the Outback never felt tippy or unstable- just sloppy sea conditions today-

Comment

Glad I fished the night instead of morning then I guess. It was really calm out tonight.

Comment

That is usually a benefit of night fishing- cooler, less wind, less boat traffic, etc. It is true that many folks just don't feel comfortable out on the water in the dark- it is harder to see where you are casting, what is going on around you, etc. My wife and Daughter are always worried about me when I go kayak fishing, no matter what- so telling them I am going night fishing would definitely elevate the chin music...I like to fish to the last bit of daylight on an evening falling tide with top water lures- usually get home well after dark..just yesterday we took the early morning route-

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            Ron outfished me today, which wasn't too difficult as I was busy aiming the yak into the next swell. He failed to mention the swell that slapped his boat and soaked his butt, according to him a first in his Elite seat. I was trailing Ron when his big striper hit, it was great seeing the water boil behind his kayak and then the rod double over. Never get tired of seeing that.
            get used to being outfished if you go with Ron.....I have rarely come out on top
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Naw- it ain't like that...I ordered a Hobie HD cart to replace the $200 fat tire one I lost- supposed to be delivered 8/29-9-1...a fast $174.00...dumb...

Comment

Lol, Ron, last time at Piney Point, you caught more fish before I even got to the spot than I caught the whole afternoon and evening!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                X