avon, obx report 8/13-8/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avon, obx report 8/13-8/19

Stayed in Avon for a week with the family at our rental property, and made sure to fish everyday, from various spots and through various methods. From the beach I caught tons of small croaker (they were everywhere), a small shark (I believe it was a blacktip because of the markings and the teeth, not the usual plates of the dogfish), and some whiting (commonly called, but are NOT sea mullet). From the pier it was much of the same story, though some people apparently caught Spanish mackerel. There were a ton of fish schooling around, and birds diving all over, but I never produced anything from the schools really. I did see a hobie making it's way around the avon fishing pier and around the area, and a few other kayakers around. I didn't have my kayak, but I did go out on a guided kayak tour with Finatic, and she was a great guide despite slow fishing. There were schools of fish everywhere but I managed only 2 fish, and so did she, a 14" flounder and a 12" red drum. On the way back, I started trolling the usual paddletail I use all the time up here, and caught 2 specks back to back within 5 mins of one another, I wish I would've trolled the whole time, or concentrated on just doing that for longer, I just didn't know it would produce. My brother and my dad went out the week before and en route to a few offshore spots in a 19' runabout, they caught 4 false albacore/little tunny, and in my opinion, they were delicious. However when we went out, we didn't catch anything, fishing similar spots and using ballyhoo and just plain unbaited lures, nothing. But apparently that's how the offshore bite was, you had to go out 30-40 miles to maybe get some mahi, wahoo, and tuna, and we were just not up for that in such a small boat that rides very rough in any amount of chop. All in all, I did catch a variety of fish, but I didn't have a single "great" day of fishing, but many "good" enjoyable days I suppose, and in the peak heat of August, that's probably as good as it gets.

Where's your place in Avon? My parents have a rental on Pamlico Court in the north end of Avon. I'll be down in early October for a few days and hope that I can find some drum. I was down the same time last year and only caught small specks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's off sailfish lane. I might go down in October as well, though I'm not sure which days yet. Apparently October-Dec, as long as the water stays warm, are pretty good for fishing around manteo and nags head, both sound and ocean side around marshes and bridges.

Comment

Small world. Only about a half mile from our place. I've been going down for 35 years (holy crap, I'm old), but haven't spent much time fishing the sound side until recently. I'd like to find some decent spots close to Avon, but haven't had much luck in my couple of attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

in unknown water, I always prefer trolling to cover more water and discover what the botom looks like
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            It's off sailfish lane. I might go down in October as well, though I'm not sure which days yet. Apparently October-Dec, as long as the water stays warm, are pretty good for fishing around manteo and nags head, both sound and ocean side around marshes and bridges.
            Seriously?? That's crazy! I was down at Avon during that time period too off of sailfish lane as well. You probably saw the first house with the sand tarpon 120 and blue ll manta ray 14 always car topped lool. I needed a fishing buddy since no one that I was there with was brave enough to go yak fishing with me >_>.. Small world haha. I only fished from my yak twice and launched out teach' lair for some flounder, only managed shorts tho. I frequented the pier looking for Spanish macks and managed only a keeper or two every outing but man the locals were slaying them
            Nikki

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
            Liquid Logic Manta Ray 14

Comment

Working...
            X