Truck Bed Fishing Rod Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Bed Fishing Rod Holder

having rods on the passenger seat sucks, so after months of debate on which direction to take in regards of rod holders for my truck, i finally decided on the yakima bedrock rack with ski holders. my old truck had a thule roof rack with ski rack , but wanted to go with something along the bed to keep my clearance down and still have use of my bed for the kayak. there are a bunch of options, horizontal and vertical storage, expensive, mid range and home made, but this put me right in the middle with features i was looking for. it's easily removable, lockable to keep an honest person honest, and i don't look like a contractor. nothing is theft proof, since anyone can just cut rails, so the super expensive (northeast surf market locking rod holders) really not worth it in my opinion and i dont think they work with 2500 series and conventional reels anyways. none should be used for over night stays, but makes ya feel a bit more comfortable going into wawa or a tackle shop. i'll have a small cable lock run through the reels to keep them safe. i think i can hold 6 combos, if not more. i can install sky boxes, cargo boxes and use it to haul even more kayaks is a plus too. i just installed them, so time will tell if i love the set up, but looks like it has potential. thinking about it now, i may move the ski rack over and try and find a used sky box to stick fishing gear in like my stank dry suit.

IMG_20160822_200239890.jpgIMG_20160822_200256120.jpgIMG_20160822_200232422.jpg
    sigpic

Sweet! You weren't kidding when you said you would find a way! Now it's my turn. I gotta get mine up and running!
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

which direction are you leaning to? took me months to bite the bullet with something, ha. i'll let ya know how this turns out after a few trips, but looks promising.
      sigpic

Comment

Great set-up. I used the same set-up on my racks. So far they've worked great. I put mine tight on the drivers side and still left room for the Outback on the passenger side.
        2016 Hobie Outback Limited #220
        2016 Jackson Cuda 12
        2015 Emotion 11 Stealth Angler

Comment

I use the Yakima ski racks too. The locking option is great, but beware that a lot of them must use the same key patterns. A buddy of mine and I can each lock and unlock each others racks with our own keys.
          Brian

Comment

Oh, and ugly sticker on the back window! Go Flyers!
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
              Oh, and ugly sticker on the back window! Go Flyers!
              uhg, i should ban you, but at least you didnt say penguins, ha
              sigpic

Comment

That's a similar setup to mine and I thought about using the snowboard/ski rack as a rod holder too but I end up playing taxi for my brother-in-laws kayak when we fish so I opted to strap my rod & reels to my kayak when we're going out. For my load bars I installed a Yakima track to the top of my bed rails so it doesn't interfere with my tonneu cover. I have some cinch straps strung up under my tonneu that I hang rods on in case I get a chance to stop and fish without the kayaks.
                - Justin
                2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
                2018 Jackson Coosa

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                  uhg, i should ban you, but at least you didnt say penguins, ha
                  Haha! Truth be told, the Caps have grown on me over the years since I end up watching more of their games then Flyers anymore with the local CSN channel is DC.
                  Brian

Comment

Originally posted by jmt1980 View Post
                    That's a similar setup to mine and I thought about using the snowboard/ski rack as a rod holder too but I end up playing taxi for my brother-in-laws kayak when we fish so I opted to strap my rod & reels to my kayak when we're going out. For my load bars I installed a Yakima track to the top of my bed rails so it doesn't interfere with my tonneu cover. I have some cinch straps strung up under my tonneu that I hang rods on in case I get a chance to stop and fish without the kayaks.
                    nice set up! i considered going with track and towers/feet, but it was more expensive, especially when i start adding fancy aero bars to my cart. is it easy to pop the towers off the tracks?
                    sigpic

Comment

I've been toying with several ideas, and then this popped up on a local classified web app:

I priced the white plastic 6-rod holder by itself from Cabela's / BPS and the lowest it's been is 39.99, plus the actual hitch receiver and vertical plate, I was happy to score this entire setup for $40 cash. Seller also drank 2 angry orchards with me, so I figure I only actually paid $30 after beer deduction. He said he's driven from Philly to OBX with a bungee cord strapped across the entire setup looped overtop all 6 reels, and never had an issue with losing gear while traveling.

image1.jpg
                      Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I'm going for this look:
                        Someone suggested I just buy the rod holder... But if can make a nice quality one , I'm all for it!

image.jpg
                        Zach Bennett
                        Linthicum MD
                        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinzak View Post
                          I'm going for this look:
                          Someone suggested I just buy the rod holder... But if can make a nice quality one , I'm all for it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19820[/ATTACH]
                          That looks really really nice, unfortunately my truck has a cap
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I've also been entertaining the thought of maybe getting a rod tube. But I only like the way they look on trucks that have a cap. And I don't think Ill be adding one to my truck.
                            Zach Bennett
                            Linthicum MD
                            2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

This is my set up. Installed a front mount hitch and put on what's called a "front porch" in the surf fishing community. Frees up my bed for my yak and other gear. image.jpg
                              Jayce
                              2017 Ivory Hobie Pro Angler 12 "The Big Easy"
                              2015 Flint Camo Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Max Angler

Comment

Working...
                              X