OC Inlet - 3rd weekend of August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC Inlet - 3rd weekend of August

It's been tough for me to find much time lately to squeeze any fishing in, but I finally made it out to the OC inlet for the first time this year. I went out Friday evening after work for close to two hours and then a gain for a couple hours Sunday morning. Both trips I solely focused on sheepshead fishing using fleas.

Friday evening I stuck to the inside of the jetty due to a couple boats sitting on the tip casting the entire time. And the offshore boat traffic coming back in was high, so there was a lot of wake (last day of the Poor Girl's Open). The black will's were eager to greet my return to the jetty. I couldn't keep the darn things away! I did catch one that I might consider calling a sea bass at 10.5". Otherwise a gazillion 6"ers down there right now. Picked up a bunch of 14 - 16" stripers, and a few toads too. Not having fished for sheep in a while, I found I was a bit rusty on the hookset. I had one sheep rob me probably 4 or 5 times before I got snagged and had to quick re-tie. By the time I got re-rigged and dropped back down I couldn't find the sheep again.

I launched early on Sunday morning and had to be off the water before noon. Met up with Chimo and one of his buddies in the morning. We fished off the submerged portion of the jetty until the current started gaining momentum. I didn't have any luck there other than black willie nibbles. They moved out to some ocean wrecks after that, but I went inside the jetty since I couldn't stay all day. Once inside, I again found way too many willies then I care to catch. I also got a half dozen short tog - biggest was 14". One of the tog's I hooked had a good sized triggerfish come up with it, but I never did see the trigger again or get it to bite. Caught a small striper. Only got one sheep bite all day but, unlike Friday evening, no swinging and missing this time! A nice little 19" went on the grill later that evening!

I almost forgot how much fun fishing the inlet is. Here's hoping the sheepshead bite only improves in the coming weeks! (and I have the time to fish for them )

Brian

Last few times I've gone to the inlet, I have only gotten one keeper tog. The keep moving the minimum size up higher. I plan on going this year, and hope to do better.

BTW: Nice looking fish!

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Cute little fella! Nice going man. That bite is tough to feel.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

nice! I may be fishing there next Friday, would love fishing with ya again if you're going as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
          Last few times I've gone to the inlet, I have only gotten one keeper tog. The keep moving the minimum size up higher. I plan on going this year, and hope to do better.

BTW: Nice looking fish!

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Thanks. Keepers are really hard to find this time of year. Although, by PB inshore tog is 22" and I got that the first week of August down in Chincoteague a couple years ago. Keepers are much easier to find in late Oct through the season closure and again late March through May.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            nice! I may be fishing there next Friday, would love fishing with ya again if you're going as well

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind fishing with you again either. I don't know if I'll be able to swing taking Friday off from work or not, but I'll shoot you a text if it looks like I can.
            Brian

Comment

Working...
            X