Flounder Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder Fishing

So does anyone on this site flounder fish and would be willing to teach. I have always wanted to learn but have NO idea of how, when, where. Looking for any advise. Thanks in advanced.
    2017 Hobie PA14

Watch this guy's videos on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jskinner5278

Comment

Few anglers target flounder in the Chesapeake Bay until you get down toward the mouth of the Potomac. The best DE, MD, or VA locations to target flounder are at the ocean coast of the eastern shore. I am far from an expert at flounder fishing. On the rare occasions that I do fish for flounder, I drift with a two-hook wire bottom rig -- select enough weight to hold bottom as you drift, but not an excessive amount.

006_4.jpg 011.jpg 012.jpg

I use either circle hooks (previous photos) or flounder hooks (the red hook style on the right) on snelled leaders and small spinners on the bottom rig.

001_16.jpg

For bait I use various combinations of live minnows, squid strips, Gulp, or shrimp.

I have caught flounder from my kayak at Ocean City near the Rt 50 bridge, Wachapreague inlet, and CBBT near Fisherman's Island. If you are trying a new area, it is often helpful to stop in a local tackle shop to find out where and how they recommend (it is good form to buy some bait or tackle from them if you are picking their brains).

In case you don't already know it, flounder have a mouth full of sharp teeth -- do not stick your fingers in there to unhook the fish. Although they have plenty of teeth, do not set the hook when you feel a fish. My approach is to gradually lift the rod and sweep it up and back to ensure that I have a fish, not a bottom snag. Good luck.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Gulp on a jig head. Bounce it on the bottom. Wait a few moments extra to set the hook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks guys
          2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Light braid, usually 15# or less. Baitcaster is easier to give line one handed than spinner. I pretty much don't use spinners for fluking any more.

Gulp 4" swimming mullet, 5" swimming mullet or 6" grub depending on depth (chartreuse, white, glow, pink, nuclear chicken) on ultra minnow or spro style jig head. Jig head as light as possible to maintain contact with the bottom. Vertical jig is critical for best presentation. I use 1/2 oz to 6 oz bucktails depending on depth and current. Use the lightest one possible. As far as jig heads go, other styles can work including round and smiling bill. I havent tried others. The main thing is get to the bottom and stay within a foot.

Teaser hook 12-18" above the jig head tipped with gulp, killie, or strip bait (squid, belly strip).

Alternate config is tap dancer rig. Check google.

Look for drop offs, channel edges, or humps with current. Shell beds and rocks can be good. Nobody will tell you about their secret spots. But If you fish alot and know how to read a map they aren't hard to find.

In contrast to the video, sometimes you got to let them chew before setting the hook. I wait till i feel the weight. Fluke are not subtle but sometimes they mouth the bait and swim along with you and you wont feel anything unless you are jigging. I don't find rapid jigging like John Skinner recommends to be necessary or effective, until i have a dropped fish. Then I am in rapid jigging mode.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

p.s. Most of the quality fish are migrating to the ocean now. There might be some dinks in the bays and tributaries. I am focused on ocean structures at this point of the season.

Comment

Plenty of good flounder fishing in the back bays of OC after Labor Day. As water temps begin to cool many fish will take advantage of all the bait leaving the bay. They'll stage up around the 50 bridge, east channel, and inlet. I've caught some of my best flounder in September/October in OC.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

It would seem that the only place to catch them is down south in the bay or around OC. Well that is going to make it a little harder.
                2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Originally posted by Steve6902 View Post
                  It would seem that the only place to catch them is down south in the bay or around OC. Well that is going to make it a little harder.
                  Because of the travel?

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                  Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                  2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Don't overlook Delaware (it might be a half hour closer for you). Indian River Bay, Massey's Ditch, and the Lewes Canal can all yield good flaties. Check the website for Bill's Bait and Tackle in Lewes, he updates his fishing report almost daily so you won't traveling all that way for nothing.

Comment

Yes because of the distance. It's over 3 hours for me to OC.
                      2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                      X