Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT (Grey Trout) Sat 8-20-16

CBBT (Grey Trout) Sat 8-20-16

This was only my second kayak fishing trip this year. I had high hopes for flounder, even though reports have not been motivating.

Saw a lot of fishing yakers on a very nice day. Seemed like a slow day. I did see a few yakers pull up throw-backs. Even the boaters had throw-backs. I did see two snorklers with a speargun on a kayak; they were diving around the pilings. I watched them as they loaded their stringer full of fish. From a distance, it looked like spades. Maybe sheepshead too.

I jigged my usually rig, but no flounder. I also tried for sheeps using green crab and shrimp, but the “other fish” got the bait. So, I caught a lot of croaker, black sea bass, and grey trout (weakfish). No toads, which is unusual. At mid-afternoon I ran into a bunch of greys. They were about 20 yards from the bridge pilings at 30 feet depth. They kept hitting my white bucktail and pink Gulp. I even got a double on the rig. Most were shorts. I did get a 14” keeper, so I took it home since I never tasted it before.

No flounder, but a very nice fishing day with the fun of catching a lot of fish.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Thanks for the report, I am going to be in that area in a week, hope they are still around.
    John Rentch
    Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
    Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

I find that the flounder haven't been hanging by the pilings as much. I now scan for drop offs starting in the middle of the 2 bridges and ride the tide on them.

Comment

Thanks for the report! I've missed reading your reports this year
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks for the report. Pretty incredible you did not catch any toads. Hoping to make it down there this weekend.

Comment

Working...
          X