Severn Success 08/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Success 08/21

I was home for a short bit, so I thought I would take advantage of some time on the water. Looking up conditions, the wind was supposed to start off light and then become stronger from the south, which was not exciting news for me. The storms weren't supposed to kick in until I was well off the water, which was relieving. The launch was pretty rough with the swell coming directly my way, but definitely doable. I was on the water by 6:00AM and ready to troll four lines, which I've decided is too many for me and I'm much more comfortable with just three and having an extra rod handy. I trolled around a couple of my favorite spots with drops down to about 15' and ended up tracking a couple of nice looking schools on the fish finder and then WHAM! One of my rods slammed down and I ended up with a nice 21" Rockfish. I trolled around for awhile longer, but the swells were starting to increase as the wind increased to the point, where some of the crabbers were moving out of the area. I figured I would make one last pass on the way back in and I hooked another keeper at 22", which made for a great fight between the wind, swells, and the fish.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on going from catching fish in the 20-28" to catching fish larger than that? I've been able to land fish in the 20-23" range pretty regularly and was curious if there is something I can do differently to land larger fish. I generally troll 5" paddle tails or Rat L -Traps in about 4-15' of water looking for differences in topography or structure.0821160852.jpg
    J

I think you are doing extremely well for this time of year, especially on the western shore rivers. Two keepers in August in the Severn is as good as it gets. The trophies (above 35") are generally out of the Bay by early June and headed up north on their annual migration.

There are a few larger stripers in the 25-35" range that move around looking for clear, fully oxygenated water. Check out Shawn Kimbro's blog and FB page. He is the well known Chesapeake Light Tackle guru. He lives in Stevensville and trails his boat to where he thinks the fish are.

You might need a bigger boat to do what Shawn does. However, by mid-September some larger fish will be moving back into kayak range again (the shallows); but they won't be much more than 25".

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
      I think you are doing extremely well for this time of year, especially on the western shore rivers. Two keepers in August in the Severn is as good as it gets. The trophies (above 35") are generally out of the Bay by early June and headed up north on their annual migration.

There are a few larger stripers in the 25-35" range that move around looking for clear, fully oxygenated water. Check out Shawn Kimbro's blog and FB page. He is the well known Chesapeake Light Tackle guru. He lives in Stevensville and trails his boat to where he thinks the fish are.

You might need a bigger boat to do what Shawn does. However, by mid-September some larger fish will be moving back into kayak range again (the shallows); but they won't be much more than 25".

Good luck!
      Thanks I am going to add his blog and facebook page to my links! I've read his book and Alan's book, which were both immensely helpful. I think I'd have to locate them on the finder and jig them up at that point versus trolling. I'd love to catch a trophy sized fish at some point to experience it on the light tackle.
      J

Comment

G0013176.jpg

Here's another photo with the sunrise
        J

Comment

Great job!! 2 keepers in August is as good as it gets like fishinfool said! Out of the Severn at that !! That last few times I've hit the Severn I've gotten nothing keepable! Glad to see someone is! Keep it up buddy!
          Zach Bennett
          Linthicum MD
          2014 Hobie Outback
          Instagram: YakinZak
          Youtube: YakinZak
          Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

The larger fish will return with cooler waters in the fall. However, you may still need to go out nearer the mouth of the Severn. As stated earlier, the spring is when the trophy fish are in the bay. The fall will produce fish in the 30-32" regularly, with many fish in the size you are now catching. Although, as mentioned, you are doing well in the Severn this time of year.

Comment

Reports are coming in from all over that fishing (catching) is getting better- white perch have been a reliable, staple all-summer long- a few croaker, a few specks scattered and down south, a resurgent redfish fishery is developing- as the waters cool, it will only get better-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Very nice! I like the big smile on your face!

Best Regards,
                Stan
                Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by Jman View Post
                  Thanks I am going to add his blog and facebook page to my links! I've read his book and Alan's book, which were both immensely helpful. I think I'd have to locate them on the finder and jig them up at that point versus trolling. I'd love to catch a trophy sized fish at some point to experience it on the light tackle.
                  yup, and it's a lof of fun. seems most like to troll, but kayaking to a known area with a hard bottom, finding a school on the fish finder and jiggin them up is top notch fun

most of these locations hold rockfish

midbay-map.jpg
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                    yup, and it's a lof of fun. seems most like to troll, but kayaking to a known area with a hard bottom, finding a school on the fish finder and jiggin them up is top notch fun

most of these locations hold rockfish

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19810[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks, I've never used that map as a reference. I've got some places to explore!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                    J

Comment

Working...
                    X