Truck/Travel Rod & Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck/Travel Rod & Reel

There's a few ponds near my office and I have a few coworkers who are busting my nuggets about taking a long lunch to soak line. Generally I fish with 1 piece rods so keeping one handy in the truck is less than ideal so I want to invest in something I can leave in my truck, and easily fits in a backpack while I mountain bike. I've been trying to pick out a travel setup so I thought I'd ask for any recommendations or experiences you guys may have with this type of rod/reel. I REALLY like the fly/spin combos (Orvis and Daiwa both make one that looks REAL nice).

My only stipulation is that I don't want one of those telescoping poles and I'd prefer something 6 ft+...
    - Justin
    2017 Native Watercraft Titan 13.5
    2018 Jackson Coosa

I have a camelback backpack that has Molle webbing on the outside. I have a 6'6" light weight two piece that I lash to the backpack for hiking and wade fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an Okuma Citrix travel rod, it is a ML spinning model. I have only used it a few times and other then it being a bit stiff for a ML I like it well enough and it compares well to a 2-piece StCroix ML that I also own. It was around $100 and comes with a pretty nice tube.

If you want to give it a try I am off all next week and plan to fish most days, shoot me a PM if you would like to meet up.
      Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

More $ - St Croix and LL Bean both make great travel rods and have great warranties. You can sign up for the LL Bean mailer and get a 20% coup and I think you can get the St Croix Triump from Dick's and they are always running specials.

Medium $ - I scored one of the BPS Extreme travel rods years back when it went on sale and I've been really happy with it. It's a three piece rod and fits well on the side of a backpack. That being said, my dad and I both broke about 3" off the end and had to put a new tip on ours. I actually like how it stiffened the action on it though! I think they were on sale this spring but not any longer.

Less $ - Ugly stik makes and affordable travel rod, but if you are fishing lures it would not be my first pick. Great rods to take to the Caribbean though!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I like my Browning Travel rods from BSP. I've traveled with the 6 piece 4 wt by plane and the 4 piece medium spinning is in my full time rotation as a trolling rod.

I'd use a light braid in this heat to keep from melting the plastic lines.
          PigPen - Mt Airy
          Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

If you go with the upper end...buy TFO 3 piece/ or two piece rods. They typically come with or you can buy the travel case/ tube. I have several...very nice@- Really no loss of strength in the rod with the 3 piece units (even on the heavy rods)- Avoid those $$$ costs at the airport!-

Comment

Truck/Travel Rod & Reel

I have a Cabela's brand pack rod and two St Croix premier travel rods. The Cabela's rod is a four piece and the St Croix's are three piece. The three piece rods are better action and the four piece packs smaller.

I also have an okuma pack rod and I don't recommend it in comparison to the St Croix or Cabela's

The St Croix premiers are American made. They are no longer in production but I was able to get them buy calling the factory and they still had some left. They may have a few left still.

I used to use pack rod a lot while on my motorcycle and mountain bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              1980 Something Old Town Canoe
              2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
              2015 Coosa HD
              2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
              2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Working...
              X