Trolling 101: How to reel in a fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling 101: How to reel in a fish

In the past two months, when even I get a hit while trolling, I have a real hard time trying to fight the fish. Always, I loose the fish from my ineptitude.

My issue is that I have primarily been a surf casting fisherman. With that environment, I plant my feet in the sand, fight the fish straight on. With trolling, it's the opposite. I've got the fish directly to my back, and I might have a rear 2nd trolling rod in the way as well.

I understand that Hobbie's can turn the kayak around while fighting a fish, but us less blessed people with paddle kayaks, how do we fight it?

**** So, my questions:
    1.) How do you guys position your rod to fight a fish that is directly in back of you?? Point the rod to the side of the kayak and let the line rub against your body???

2.) How do you get the other rods out of the way? Do you put them down before picking up the rod with the fish??

I have hip arthritis, and standing up is a none starter (yes, someday you too will be a old fart.....)

Any pointers would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

I find it difficult to troll more than one line at a time. For me it's just to complicated. So, when I troll, and in the event that I get a hook up. I keep paddling to keep the line tight and adjust my angle to grab the rod and have the line perpendicular to the kayak. Assuming any of that works, I reel in the fish. Not saying this is the correct way, but it has worked for me on occasion. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on what depth you are trolling, i used to troll both rods facing outwards. One method i used (moreso in deep water) was to let the lure sink to the bottom on both sides, start to paddle and get to the ideal speed. Once at the speed, let some line out on each rod. You might have to paddle in between setting both lines. I dont let alot of line out, so when a fish strikes, it goes directly down and away from the fish you are fighting up. A good fish will spin the kayak around, hobie or not.
      Native Watercraft Pro Staff
      2016 Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13 Lizard Lick

2016 CCA MD "BLUE CAT" Tournament 2nd place
      33rd MSSA "THE CHAMPIONSHIP" Tournament 1st place
      2016 Curley's White Perch Tournament 1st place

Comment

https://youtu.be/TVqxQa1FS7Q
        Here is a good video to watch that will show you from hook set to landing the fish. Also depending on how long and how much rocker your kayak may have will make it easier or harder to spin. I usually keep the rod lower when cranking in the fish and work your way to the bow. As said before a decent fish will turn your kayak. As far as other lines...I've never had issues as the kayak spins opposite of my other rod. If I think it will become a problem I will lay the rod with the fish down (with loose drag) tuck it under my leg. Then quickly turn and reel in the other line, and put it back in the holder. After that I'm free to fight the fish.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I troll 4 rods from my pedal kayak and 3 rods from my paddle kayak. In the pedal kayak, I keep pedaling to keep the lines straight unless the fish is large and pulls the boat strongly to the side. If I get a bite on the rear rod holder, and the fish swims toward the front, I hold that rod in one hand, grab the rod in the front rod holder and move it to the back rod holder, then I can fight the fish in a clear sector.

In the paddle kayak, I stop paddling and concentrate on bringing in the hooked fish. I rarely get tangles with the other lines unless I have a large fish. In previous years, I tried loosening the drag on the reel with the hooked fish and setting that rod down while I wound in the other rods -- that often failed. If I catch a really large fish, I often get some tangles, but I don't mind for that result.

You mentioned fighting a fish behind you. I am surprised that the kayak does not turn after the fish is hooked so you can fight it to the side.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Everyone,
            Wow, great advice. I was, trying to keep the pole straight, so that the line went over my head shoulders. Kind of dumb--I know. Watching that video (multiple times) and reading all your posts, I'm going to do this:

-- Let the fish turn my kayak, by putting the pole out sideways.
            -- Only take 2 rods. You pros can do 4+ rods. "Enthusiastic want-to-be's" like me, has to do thinks simply.
            -- I launch at 2:00 today. The waves are less the 1 ft, and I'm excited.
            -- Going to try to do something different. Fish (of sandy point) the top of cliff (where the light buoy is). If there is any nuts with Skadoo's, I'll re-think this. But, a week-day in the afternoon, should be good.

Thanks again!

Best Regards,
            Stan

Comment

Good luck today!

Comment

Winding in a big spinner bait will turn your kayak.

I once worked my way across a small lake on about 94 casts/retrieves. No wind. Just casting and retrieving.

I hooked into a nice fish (never saw it, just water it moved just before I turned my head to grab the net and it got off) in the river above a near by lake. In no time at all that fish had me sideways in the river. It was taking drag and pulling me around to the right side of the river (we'd been trolling as we paddled up the river).

Sure would have like to got that one in.

As a kid I can remember my dad catching nice northern pike at Lake Darling, just above Minot, ND. We were in a 12 ft. Sears boat with a 6 hp. gas motor and two adults and two children. A nice pike would turn that boat around in circles by the time dad got it in to the net/boat. It just amazed me watching the boat go in different directions as the fish fought to get loose.
                Last edited by M1A4ME; 08-18-2016, 01:25 PM. Reason: left an r off your

Comment

I always notice that the yak will turn as you hook the fish even when the fish sets the hook. It will come naturally! dont stress it!
                  Zach Bennett
                  Linthicum MD
                  2014 Hobie Outback
                  Instagram: YakinZak
                  Youtube: YakinZak
                  Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

I paddle and troll two rods at a time. I always paddle a little further after the strike to help set the hook and make sure the fish is still on and then remove the rod from the rod holder as quickly as possible to keep tension on the line. That is a likely time for a fish to come off when paddling whereas pedalers can keep the kayak moving while grabbing the rod. Once you've got the rod in hand you can just fight it like normal.
                    Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      I troll 4 rods from my pedal kayak and 3 rods from my paddle kayak. In the pedal kayak, I keep pedaling to keep the lines straight unless the fish is large and pulls the boat strongly to the side. If I get a bite on the rear rod holder, and the fish swims toward the front, I hold that rod in one hand, grab the rod in the front rod holder and move it to the back rod holder, then I can fight the fish in a clear sector.

In the paddle kayak, I stop paddling and concentrate on bringing in the hooked fish. I rarely get tangles with the other lines unless I have a large fish. In previous years, I tried loosening the drag on the reel with the hooked fish and setting that rod down while I wound in the other rods -- that often failed. If I catch a really large fish, I often get some tangles, but I don't mind for that result.

You mentioned fighting a fish behind you. I am surprised that the kayak does not turn after the fish is hooked so you can fight it to the side.
                      Other than the number of rods being trolled- I am doing the same in my Hobie Outback- with large fish I use the rudder control to try to overcome the fish's pull and maintain a straight line- if the fish is too big then I worry about landing the fish and don't worry about my second rod until after I land the fish- tangles are a small price to pay for a large keeper...
                      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 08-19-2016, 06:17 PM.
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My only advice is to do what works for you and be safe doing it. I can only handle two rods trolling on my paddle kayak but most of the time I am casting or using a Fly rod. Keeping it simple works for me.

eyedaddy

Comment

I did not hook anything big yesterday, except for a very dynamic crab pot (I think). But, I tried what you guys have said (and the video showed). It worked like a champ! So, if I ever do hook something, that I actually fight, I'll have at least the first few steps down.

I remember watching video's like the one FishMoken posted, when I first got my yak. I thought, it looked pretty straightforward. Now, after fishing for a few years, I am amazed at the skill it takes. No wonder with the few times I've hooked something, I lost in seconds.

One final word, thanks so much for giving new-be's like me such great advice!

Best Regards,
                          Stan

Comment

Glad you had success with all the tips. It is important to keep the rod tip toward the front of the boat with big fish as they will drag you around. Also this will aid in gaining back line as the fish pulling the kayak will also count as drag itself. Tight lines!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                            Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

One thing is certain...You ask a question or have a problem with gear technique or anything else relating to stuff on this site you won't get 1 good answer you will get a bunch of EXCELLENT answers. These guys are by far and large the most helpful bunch of people I have ever come across in any field of endeavor! Friendly and willing to teach and have you join them at the drop of a hat. I for one, am extremely happy to be associated with this group.

eyedaddy........This was not a paid political announcement...

Comment

Working...
                              X