Popper with a fixed single rear hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew,

I also had concerns that replacing trebles with single hooks on commercial plugs would adversely impact their actions. So far my practical experience with X-Raps, Skitter Pops and Rat-L-Traps indicates that they do not.

Good luck,

PS The brine and pig would probably leave a ring.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I found with larger cranks there is more room for weight difference, I am trying to mod cranks in the 1/16 to 1/8 range and even they often don't run well out of the box. I did also notice that lipless cranks are very forgiving in general though. Rebel makes a line of small, single hook barb-less cranks but they are very iffy as to function, but when they work they are one of the most effective and fun panfish/perch lures I have ever used.

Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
      Lime Slayer 10

Comment

I've replaced a lot of my topwater plug trebble hooks with Gamakatsu live bait hooks that have a ring. Turn the front hook towards your rod and the back hook away from your rod. This eliminates the potential for a treble hook in your hand and for picking up anything floating on the surface of the water.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oryId=12922631

IMG_6360.jpg
        2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post

I do travel for work a lot, do you guys think most hotel managers would mind me making a few casts in their pool?
          Earlier this summer I visited the Mirrolure headquarters in a Tampa suburb. For their largest and most expensive swimming lures, each lure is run through a test tank to make sure it tracks correctly. If it does not swim well, the front lip is bent until it swims properly.

20160621_130501.jpg
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
          X