Popper with a fixed single rear hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popper with a fixed single rear hook

can anybody name a popper that has a single fixed rear hook or something similar?
    sigpic

any of the fly poppers
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

any non fly available, more substantial in size as a quick google search came up with tiny ones
      sigpic

Comment

this is the only one I found
        1dad43519500aed09b62c3485f06d503.jpg
        @http://www.oceantackle.net/alternative-lure-rigging.html
        Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Cedar plug?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Pencil popper

Comment

You can also take an existing popper and put a single in-line hook on it.

The top popper in the following photo is a Rapala Skitter Pop. It came with two treble hooks, back and center. I removed them and placed a single in-line hook on the back. I have caught numerous stripers on this very lure including a 29 incher this year at Calvert Cliffs.

P1010937 (2).jpg

The bottom popper is a fly rod popper that I have also used successfully on stripers and pickerels.

Single hooks work just fine. In fact, I think hookups may be better on poppers with single hooks.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I enjoy not getting stuck in the thumb when reaching into the fishes mouth using single hooked lures. which is why jigging and trolling bucktail/jig heads are favored by me!
                Zach Bennett
                Linthicum MD
                2014 Hobie Outback
                Instagram: YakinZak
                Youtube: YakinZak
                Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  You can also take an existing popper and put a single in-line hook on it.

The top popper in the following photo is a Rapala Skitter Pop. It came with two treble hooks, back and center. I removed them and placed a single in-line hook on the back. I have caught numerous stripers on this very lure including a 29 incher this year at Calvert Cliffs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19793[/ATTACH]

The bottom popper is a fly rod popper that I have also used successfully on stripers and pickerels.

Single hooks work just fine. In fact, I think hookups may be better on poppers with single hooks.
                  What made you choose hook-down? I think I can see merit to both and couldn't decide on the lures I modified, so I did a few each way but haven't really caught enough to form an opinion.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Drew,

I put the hook down because it mimics the position of hooks on most fly rod poppers. They've worked for me for years so I just continued that positioning on the Skitter Pop and even on subsurface plugs I have modified.

Now, I've fished with Indianhead Charters at Mattawoman and they use a weedless surface frog with the hooks pointed up. They worked well too.

A determined fish will not be deterred.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

I know the poppers they use for sharks only have one maybe two single hooks lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Zack
                      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

I have to agree...if a fish wants it they will take it no matter where the hook is at.

eyedaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Drew,

I put the hook down because it mimics the position of hooks on most fly rod poppers. They've worked for me for years so I just continued that positioning on the Skitter Pop and even on subsurface plugs I have modified.

Now, I've fished with Indianhead Charters at Mattawoman and they use a weedless surface frog with the hooks pointed up. They worked well too.

A determined fish will not be deterred.
                          Interesting. So far I have lost more of my "experimental" lures then I have caught fish with them. But, due to an aversion to trebles, I never really practice with cranks so I don't fish them well, so I seldom tie one on, etc etc. I bought some hooks you recommended to me months ago, but I never want to spend my fishing time messing with lure testing. I wish my bathtub was longer or I had easy access to a pool so I could just take a few hours and sort out hook sizes and placements with a work surface and tools easily at hand.

I do travel for work a lot, do you guys think most hotel managers would mind me making a few casts in their pool?
                          Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                          Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Drew,

There are no fish in bathtubs (at least there are none in mine) and there are certainly none in hotel pools.

Test your lures on fish. They'll let you know how well they work.

Frankly, I think fish are less discriminating than we (humans) are when it comes to lures. We want perfection when it comes to color and wobble. Fish often don't care about either. They see something in their space and they eat it. My opinion only, perhaps. But I've caught fish with some beat up unnaturally colored lures that look nothing like anything that lives and swims.
                            Mark
                            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Hah, yes, that is true, but I was talking about getting the lures to float/sink and run correctly with the replacement hooks. That work would be greatly sped up if I could test near my workbench.

I did once write up a proposal to brine a small suckling pig in our tub, but I was out voted. Strange that there were three total votes in a two person household but that's democracy for you.
                              Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                              Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                              X