Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning on launching from Sandypoint Tommrrow at 2:00. ANyone want to join me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning on launching from Sandypoint Tommrrow at 2:00. ANyone want to join me?

Planning on doing some drifting along the big drop off. Will be going for Croakers, Spot and maybe some blues. Bottom fishing with BW, then doing some casting as well. Out by 2:00 PM, in by 7:00 PM.

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Ahhhh.... the joy of be a sub-par fisherman. Every trip starts with excitement, and the thoughts "This will be the trip that ......".

Started to fish for spot. Caught 10 after just 30 minutes. So I started to troll (e.g. I did not want to spend days ripping fish guts out.......). So, I tried trolling and then bottom fishing with large hooks (using one of spots I caught). But, got nothing.

I love being on the water, I so enjoy all the aspects of fishing.

So, in general, I am still high on excitement and low on results..... But, hey, there's always next time..... In fact I know that "the next trip will be the one ........"

Best Regards,
    Stan

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
      Ahhhh.... the joy of be a sub-par fisherman...
      Stan,

Poor choice of words.

You're in training. That's much better.

Results will improve soon. Conditions are hard right now.

Cheers,
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

what size were the spot and where did you get them?
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Shady: Ummmmm.... Not sure, the bones are in the garbage now, but I guess that they were about 6-8 inches long?? Many smaller. I just kept the big ones.

I launched from Sandy point state park. Turned left and fished around the crab pots in 5-7 feet of water. The spot were thick. Towards evening, there was something chasing them, as they were starting to break water.

Mark: Good point. I love everything about fishing, I love the planning, the paddling, the excitement, etc, etc. Also, I so enjoy the different experiences that I see. From, watching the Naval academy crew and sail teams, to how friendly the watermen are.

On one trip, I only got one perch. So, I gave it to an older gentleman (Age: 80+). He could not walk and had a motorized wheel chair. Everything was such a struggle for him. Getting the chair out, going to the bathroom, etc. He had one rod, and was riding up to the pier to fish.

He was so excited with the perch. I remember thinking to myself: I want to be like him when I get old. Just excited to be out and fishing. And, anything I get is a huge plus.

Best Regards,
          Stan
          Last edited by manlystanley; 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Awesome, need to get out for some live lining!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
              Awesome, need to get out for some live lining!

Ryan, couple questions:

-- Where do you hook the fish, in the lips or the tail??
              -- Do you put the fish on a fish finder rig on the bottom? Or do you let it swim around with no sinker??

Thanks,
              Stan

Comment

hook it in the top of the body just below the dorsal. I'll either do it weightless or on a Carolina type rig with 1/2 - 1 oz of lead
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                  hook it in the top of the body just below the dorsal. I'll either do it weightless or on a Carolina type rig with 1/2 - 1 oz of lead
                  Good idea about the carolina rig. This will sink them somewhat, but not be huge drag.

I tried hooking below the dorsal, but I always hit the spinal cord and kill the fish. I take it that you barely below the skin???

Thanks, Stan

Comment

yes
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Tried this morning. One good runoff live lining, but didn't stick.

Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                      X