Fish Finder Pig Tail Connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Finder Pig Tail Connectors

I had intermittent electrical connectivity from my battery to the fish finder on my last outing with it dying entirely at the end. It looks to me like there is corrosion in the male and female pigtail connectors from the battery to the wiring. I have the Hobie install kit and I'm looking to replace the connectors without having to buy all the wiring (not to mention that would only get me the male half). Has anyone had to do this and have a source for the connector. It's a 2 way connector and says Delphi on the plastic. Yes - I hooked a volt meter to the battery and I do have 12 volts coming out so this is my next place to go as I also replaced the fuse.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Can you post a picture? I used to use what I called a trailer light hook up on mine but now just splice direct and seal and then use the female connectors inside a dry box. If it's the same thing I used to use then you can get it at advanced auto, tractor supply, walmart, etc
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Have you tried to just clean the terminals? Then grease them with dielectric grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are the pictures. I have tried cleaning them but the corrosion is fairly pervasive and I think it's gotten into the actual wire connection. It's also very difficult to get into the small opening for the female half and the male half looks like some of the metal has sacrificed itself. I'd like to maintain the same configuration so that I don't need to change the plug on the charger.

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg
        Mike

Comment

Call the guys at backyard boats in Annapolis. I did something similar and it was $10 for the new wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, give Dan a call at BYB
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I use a Minkota Trolling Motor plug. I think I bought it on Amazon
              41yPIrdd3ZL.jpg
              Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Hi Mike,

I believe they are called Delphi Weather Pack 2-pin sealed connectors. I found them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/delphi-conne...p2045573.m2388
                I ordered some about a year ago myself. They're a bit tedious to work with, and I've got small hands. However, they seem to be holding up pretty well so far. I would recommend picking up some extras as I goofed on a few tries and destroyed a few pins. After the setup, I would recommend some dielectric gel inside to keep them from corroding.

Comment

Thanks for all the input, and the e-bay source Zspook.
                  Mike

Comment

Also Salvo's has them. The male and female are separate items and they were about $8 for both I think.

Comment

You should invest in some dielectric grease. You will never have a bad connection again as long as you put the grease on every connector. Doesnt have to be alot just enough to repel moisture
                      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
                      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
                      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

I've read about the use of dielectric grease & have a corrosion issue in my FF connection. I have not used dielectric grease because I don't understand what it really does. Isn't dielectric grease an insulator - reducing the connectivity?
                        Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                        Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I re-wired my connectors yesterday- used dielectric grease on all connectors- unit is back up and working again...unless you have marine wire- regular electrical wire will corrode like crazy- marine wire is tinned to be more corrosion resistant-
                          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                          X