10 Minutes of Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Minutes of Fun

I joined up with Fishinggod this morning at his house to fish the bay north of St Jeromes Creek. I headed off towards a pier and picked up four quick mid sized fish by casting tight to the pilings. Rich had headed in the opposite direction and I saw him turn around at a far point. We headed towards each other. He told me he'd picked up a couple but nothing big. As he passed he shouted "doubles and one of them is big". I immediately snagged and was cursing. Around us the water started to boil and fish were breaking everywhere. I finally got my line back and cast into the frenzy, boom a 22" fish. Rich landed a 24, and then I had another keeper on. For the next 10 minutes it was fast and furious. Rich landed a red drum that was mixed in with the rocks (not a keeper). Just as fast as they came, they left. We trolled around for another hour with little action. As we were headed back in he cast his magic lure towards a pier and had a 17" red drum slam the lure. Great way to end the morning (except for the ceviche Rich made, which was better)

The action was taking place on a small hump that was 3 1/2 feet of water surrounded by 5 feet. Just that little variation was enough to let the stripers push the bait around for breakfast.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

That was great action while it lasted. Your reds are getting larger by the week. Well done.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I missed the action as usual. Thanks a lot my SMOG buddies Good to hear the "Magic Pier" and the "Hump" have got their MOJO back.

See Ya soon!

Yak67
      2015 Hobie PA-14
      2016 Outback LE#217

Comment

Yep- the SW wind does not have as much affect on the western side of the Bay like it does in Crisfield...congratulations on the keepers
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Glad to hear you guys are catching some good sized fish in the dead of summer down here. I unfortunately can't say the same. Let me know next time you guys go out, I'd love to link up again.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Yep- the SW wind does not have as much affect on the western side of the Bay like it does in Crisfield...congratulations on the keepers
            The spot we fished was very protected, but going around a southern point brought rollers very quickly into play. Going north there is a creek mouth that had wind whipping down it, so we were kind of confined to perhaps 1/2 mile of water close to shore. Just lucky today to be in the spot when the food truck pulled up.
            Mike
            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Sounds like a blast!! Glad you were where you were, when you were. Congrats on the keepers
              Bruce

Hobie PA 14
              Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

that sure was a blast!!! that 24 fought like a 30. i really thought i had fish over 28. awesome battle, especially since i don't use rod leashes so i had to keep the other rod at a 90 so that fish didn't take my rod. good times. glad you snagged and then realized the boil by the time i landed that 24 and released that 18. every cast for 10 minutes was an epic moment for sure. i hope that happens a few more times before i leave this amazing place!!
                Rich
                Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

Working...
                X