Jackson Big Tuna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Big Tuna

I'm interested in any opinions on the big tuna that any owners would be willing to share. I currently paddle a tarpon 14. I'm looking for a second boat that I can get my son out. He's pretty young and won't be paddling much, so it would need to be paddled ok with one paddler and a little ballast(child) up front. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Ron75 View Post
    I'm interested in any opinions on the big tuna that any owners would be willing to share. I currently paddle a tarpon 14. I'm looking for a second boat that I can get my son out. He's pretty young and won't be paddling much, so it would need to be paddled ok with one paddler and a little ballast(child) up front. Thanks for any info.

Not to sure on what kinda money your looking to spend but I know a guy with one of these he takes his kid and dog out and he just uses one of the drives and he said it still pulls. The price is up there tho

Comment

That's probably a little more than I wanted to spend, but it looks like a real nice setup. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I am in the same situation with needing a tandem that can convert to a single. I think I will be going with the Big Tuna also. I looked at the Nucanoe Frontier but that is 12 feet long and when set up as a double it doesn't appear to have much room.

Comment

One of the common criticisms I've noticed online is that it is pushed by the wind more than people would prefer. Maybe adding a rudder would mitigate that issue?

Comment

Native Watercraft makes two models that can be used as a tandem or as a single. They are the Ultimate FX 15 and the Ultimate 14.5. The U14.5 has been around a while so you may find some used ones at a good price.

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/...x-15-tandem-2/

http://nativewatercraft.com/product/...e-14-5-tandem/
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

He will be in his own kayak paddling next you before you know it.
              I have seen people rig up a child's seat that fits over the front hatch, facing back towards you,, just a thought and save the money for "His" future kayak purchase.

Slack
              Captian of the plastic Navy
              1 - Mad River Canoes
              1- Tarpon 120
              1- Redfish 10
              1- Coosa HD
              2- Cuda 12
              1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

I was wondering if it makes sense to get a specific kayak to take him out. But I've got to get him hooked before he becomes interested in other stuff. Thanks for all the suggestons.

Comment

the big tuna is a great fishing kayak as a single and paddles well as a singled. as a tandem it really fishes well
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I currently fish out of a big tuna mostly with my girlfriend sometimes solo. It is a great tandem kayak. Someone already said what I was gonna say is it catches the wind a lot. Very easy to paddle in tandem or in solo though. So wide I don't think you could flip it. It's very heavy even without the seats I think almost 90 lbs and then add a ton of stuff and it is more. But the hull is thick plastic unlike some of he cheapo yaks from box stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsmdave View Post
                      I currently fish out of a big tuna mostly with my girlfriend sometimes solo. It is a great tandem kayak. Someone already said what I was gonna say is it catches the wind a lot. Very easy to paddle in tandem or in solo though. So wide I don't think you could flip it. It's very heavy even without the seats I think almost 90 lbs and then add a ton of stuff and it is more. But the hull is thick plastic unlike some of he cheapo yaks from box stores.
                      Do you happen to have a rudder on your big tuna and do you primarily fish fresh or salt. The tidal swings where I fish can be large and it always seems to be windy. I could definitely use it for stocked trout in ponds with the kids, but I'm unsure how it will handle in wind/tide in the salt. Most YouTube reviews that I've seen are in the fresh. Any info you can give I appreciate? Thanks

Comment

Use it in both fresh and salt. No rudder. Handle chop and waves great only problem I see is the tide and wind will get you moving to fast for a good drift. This can be fixed with an anchor or drag chain. It's funny to paddle past a boat a little bigger than my kayak and them ask us if we're really going out in this.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Also I wanted the rudder but it doesn't track too bad if your paddling good. So I don't see the need for the rudder. I figured if I wanted a rudder I would but it later on since it is the same price either way.

Comment

I no longer have my Big Tuna, but I would recommend it to anyone who wants the tandem capability. It is also a great boat for solo paddlers, particularly if you like standing or are a bit on the heavy side. I had a rudder, which for me was a great investment because I fished it in high current areas and the rudder allowed me to more easily control my drift. I ultimately sold the BT because I found myself using it almost exclusively in solo mode and I wanted a boat that was a bit lighter. I sure do miss it though.
                              Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Working...
                              X