Severn perch cooperated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn perch cooperated

I launched into Weems at 7:20 this morning to calm, low, and brown water. My plan was to visit several Severn tidal creeks and ponds looking for perch. I also planned to troll between spots looking for stripers. Over the next 3.5 hours, I cast a Bignose spinner and caught 45 perch (some in each of the five tributaries I visited). The perch bite was fast in the first two creeks I checked (20 perch in 30 mins in one, and 10 perch in 15 mins in the other) -- I left fish biting in both of those spots. Many of them were 9-10" and chunky. The other three creeks offered a slower bite. Today the fish were not holding tight to the shoreline. They were about 15-20 ft out from the shoreline and nearly always in shaded areas. I released all the fish I caught today.

As I trolled between spots, I caught a 19" striper on a paddletail and 5 more perch on a second Bignose spinner. As I returned to the ramp, I met EMSer who had a productive day fishing in different locations from me. He can add his report later.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
      Sounds like a great day!
      I caught so many fish on your spinner, half of the hair/fibers came off. Those Bignose spinners get the job done.
      John Veil
      Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Today the fish were not holding tight to the shoreline. They were about 15-20 ft out from the shoreline and nearly always in shaded areas.
        Seeking cooler water, I bet.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Time for Mark to do his repair job on your spinner.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by J. Rentch View Post
            Time for Mark to do his repair job on your spinner.
            John V. is pretty tough on his bucktails too.

Before:

A.jpg

After:

B.jpg
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              John V. is pretty tough on his bucktails too.

Before:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19735[/ATTACH]

After:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19736[/ATTACH]
              I like to think it is all the fish I catch (not the fisherman) that are hard on the hairy parts of the lures. I'm glad to have a fishing buddy who is talented at rejuvenating damaged lures.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Looks like a nice repair job! I fished Weems this morning (first time launch for me at Tucker St) and enjoyed a nice muggy morning catching perch with a new kayaker. We kept a few over 10" for some perch tacos tonight!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

I caught so many fish on your spinner, half of the hair/fibers came off. Those Bignose spinners get the job done.
                  Don't you know, you are supposed to lose them, or have them break off before they get that bad!
                  (I actually over dress them because the "fisherman" want them that way!)

Comment

Don't you know, you are supposed to lose them, or have them break off before they get that bad!
                    (I actually over dress them because the "fisherman" want them that way!)
                    Although I do lose some from snagging on overhanging branches, most are kept in service until the hair is all gone or the hook part breaks off. Of all the versions you have sent me to try out, the ones with the lighter weight silver or gold blade are the best producers -- at least for me. I think the heavier colored blades offer an edge in very murky water. Thanks for making such a productive lure.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

IMG_0267.jpg

When I have lures start to look like this, i usually retire them, or re-do them. I was still catching fish on it with it looking like this!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19751[/ATTACH]

When I have lures start to look like this, i usually retire them, or re-do them. I was still catching fish on it with it looking like this!
                        Stu,

As you well know, humans are far more critical of the appearance of their lures than fish are.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                        X