Fishing around Crisfield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing around Crisfield?

So the fish gods have smiled upon me, and I got all Labor Day weekend off work and out of class. Thinking about paddling out of Crisfield MD and camping for 3 days (weather permitting).

I've gathered some intel on the area and it looks pretty promising. From what I've read I should have no problem finding striper, specs, and the occasional red mixed in.

Has anyone paddled this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

I live down here, about 30 mins away from Crisfield. Its my "home field" so to speak. If you search my previous forum threads, you'll see a lot of info. Specks and rock should be in the shallows around that time. There are several launch locations to choose from. I would camp at a camp ground as opposed to a barrier island simply for the fact that you may want to travel to a new launch to fish other areas. The Manokin and Annemesseck Rivers are good options too that are about 15 mins from Crisfield.

Here is a TV show that we filmed last September to give you an idea the kind of area I am fishing. This was filmed at Colburne Creek. A quick google search will easily turn up where this is.

As far as launch locations, here is a map I put together that highlights several.

Tackle is simple. Small 1/8oz or 1.4 oz jig heads with various color combinations of bass assassin paddle tails. GULP swimming mullet in Pearl and chartreuse also work well. Trolling is one of the best ways to target specks and rock this time of year. Focus your casting to points with current and small creeks draining water out of the salt marsh on an outgoing tide.

(Forgive any spelling errors, I'm in a hurry to get to the weigh-in for the White Marlin Open)

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

You're the man. That video is awesome too.

I'm pretty sold on this spot. Some reports I've read have had some decent sized puppy drum round there. Have you ran into any?

Zack
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
        You're the man. That video is awesome too.

I'm pretty sold on this spot. Some reports I've read have had some decent sized puppy drum round there. Have you ran into any?

Not this year, dude. Maybe in September but we haven't had a consistent pup fishery up this day since 2013/2014. Good luck with the specks though. Lots of those around!

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Damn. Well I'll wait to scratch my red itch til October when I get down to OBX.

Thanks again for the information boss.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by RavensDfense View Post
            I live down here, about 30 mins away from Crisfield. Its my "home field" so to speak. If you search my previous forum threads, you'll see a lot of info. Specks and rock should be in the shallows around that time. There are several launch locations to choose from. I would camp at a camp ground as opposed to a barrier island simply for the fact that you may want to travel to a new launch to fish other areas. The Manokin and Annemesseck Rivers are good options too that are about 15 mins from Crisfield.

Here is a TV show that we filmed last September to give you an idea the kind of area I am fishing. This was filmed at Colburne Creek. A quick google search will easily turn up where this is.

As far as launch locations, here is a map I put together that highlights several.

Tackle is simple. Small 1/8oz or 1.4 oz jig heads with various color combinations of bass assassin paddle tails. GULP swimming mullet in Pearl and chartreuse also work well. Trolling is one of the best ways to target specks and rock this time of year. Focus your casting to points with current and small creeks draining water out of the salt marsh on an outgoing tide.

(Forgive any spelling errors, I'm in a hurry to get to the weigh-in for the White Marlin Open)
            White marlin open? That's awesome, tell me you fished it somehow with your kayak. Also, is colburn creek where we fished during that first cast trip in June?

Comment

White marlin open? That's awesome, tell me you fished it somehow with your kayak. Also, is colburn creek where we fished during that first cast trip in June?

Comment

Lol, I joked that I was gonna leave on Monday to make the weigh in Friday. And yeah, Colbourne Creek is where we fished in June.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

What Doug said. Also, the biting flies and other marauding insects will make life intolerable for you if you're not prepared. Bring at least two changes of light weight long pants, long sleeved shirts, a light weight hat with a wide brim, and plenty of Deep Woods deet with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                    What Doug said. Also, the biting flies and other marauding insects will make life intolerable for you if you're not prepared. Bring at least two changes of light weight long pants, long sleeved shirts, a light weight hat with a wide brim, and plenty of Deep Woods deet with you.
                    I've been camping twice at the VA ES this year. I know all about the bugs lol

Zack
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Good video, tackle and bug info.

I'm heading to Janes Island State Park for the weekend this Thursday and spending 3 days there.

I'll be fly fishing poppers and streamers and using light spinning tackle -- small spinners and light jigheads with paddletails.

Can anyone attest if redfish and specks are present at the moment in the Janes Island area?

Thank you,
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Specks are. Redfish are not. Puppy reds haven't shown this far north on the eastern shore side of the bay (in any numbers) since 2013/2014.

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Specks are. Redfish are not.
                          Thank you.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12