Hot a.m. on Weems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot a.m. on Weems

I fished this morning on Weems Creek from 9:45 until 11:30, when the heat chased me off. I ran out of shade about 11:15.
    I had the pleasure of meeting another Snaggedline member: EMSer. He headed upstream and I fished down towards the Severn.

Fishing was steady, in an hour and half, I caught 12-15 white perch, several were chunky fish up to 10 inches (a couple were dinks, live lining size) and a scrawny 16" pickerel, who looked like he had been caught before. The ungrateful critter managed to nip me when I got the spinner jig out. Yeah, I know, you aren't supposed to lip a pickerel.

I caught most of the fish in deep shade, either under the docks or by timber.
    Water clarity was about 1 1/2 feet with a slight stain. It seemed clearer further up, although I never did get above the bridges.
    Chartreuse Green Spinner jigs with dual blades were the most productive lures, I don't know why I even bother with anything else, anymore, except for comparison's sake.

It was definitely hot on Weem's today - the air temp, but not fishing. After getting to know BigNose at the launch, I headed up stream. I fished deep shade and found fish scattered along the bank. I needed to tuck into shelter to stay out of the 10 knot winds that kept gusting. The tide was slowly flooding and the water temp was 84 degrees.

I only managed about a dozen white perch ranging between 6"-11". I was also pleasantly surprised by an feisty 10" Yellow Perch - my first from a kayak. I got off the water right at noon
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Congrats to both of you. Sounds like a good trip in trying weather conditions.

Especially encouraging is another yellow perch being caught in Weems.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Stu -

I was on Weems this morning from 9:45 to 11:45. I had very similar results to yours using two different Bignose spinners (one with the two-tone green, the other with a smaller gold-colored spinner). I got 20 perch -- nearly all in shaded areas. I also found two 5" stripers. I had one perch hit so hard I was sure it was a 20" pickerel. It was larger than the others I had been catching so I measured it. I was hoping for at least 12", but it proved to be 11".
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice going guys, it seems that Weems has been holding WP all summer, especially in the shade. Nice to see tha EMSer landed a YP. I have landed a couple in Weems as well as Manresa. Hopefully this is the beginning of the return of YP to,the Severn area.
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
          X