Clear All

• Video: Potomac River Smallies and Catfish

Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Nice! That's my kind of fun!

Comment

Sega, did you land your Potomac Musky yet? I remember you were trying for them last year in that stretch of river with mepps bucktails right?
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by perchy View Post
        Sega, did you land your Potomac Musky yet? I remember you were trying for them last year in that stretch of river with mepps bucktails right?
        Nah I wish. I haven't seen any since December. Yea I've tried all over for them. My newest spot I've found them at is actually further back in WV.

It's tough because I feel like I SHOULD be musky fishing. Like its my home stretch of river and I'm so close to getting one if I just saddled up and grinded a little more I could finally lay this beast to rest lol.

Buuut there's so many opportunities to catch fish that are much easier and I find it easy to take the easy route lol. Like I'd rather drive all the way to the beach and shark fish, rather than going in my backyard to musky fish lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Zack
        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

that drag at the 8 minute mark had me all excited
          sigpic

Comment

Pretty water but too many damn people! And blaring music. I assume that's Harper's Ferry? Nice job catching. I guess it takes a bit to disturb them. I fished alongside some otter last weekend. Still caught fish despite the otter diving through the pool just a few minutes before me.

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
              that drag at the 8 minute mark had me all excited
              I know it took me by surprise there. He was going against the current pulling like that too. Strong little guy lol

Zack
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by icanoe View Post
                Pretty water but too many damn people! And blaring music. I assume that's Harper's Ferry? Nice job catching. I guess it takes a bit to disturb them. I fished alongside some otter last weekend. Still caught fish despite the otter diving through the pool just a few minutes before me.
                Yea that's right below HF. It's called Bass Rock. Used to be a prime fishing hole (still kinda is) but now it's just a party place. You see some characters down there for sure

Zack
                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                  Nah I wish. I haven't seen any since December. Yea I've tried all over for them. My newest spot I've found them at is actually further back in WV.

It's tough because I feel like I SHOULD be musky fishing. Like its my home stretch of river and I'm so close to getting one if I just saddled up and grinded a little more I could finally lay this beast to rest lol.

Buuut there's so many opportunities to catch fish that are much easier and I find it easy to take the easy route lol. Like I'd rather drive all the way to the beach and shark fish, rather than going in my backyard to musky fish lol.

Try for some Northern Pike first haha, they're smaller and easier to catch once the weather cools down.
                  Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                  Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                  Northern Pike: 24 inches
                  Crappie: 12 inches
                  Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Thanks for the video! What soft plastic are you using? Looked pretty good, so was just curious. Ever considering something with a larger profile to catch larger fish? I use 5" flukes or worms and catch smallies from 9-19" inches on the Rapidan/Rappahanock rivers in VA. The little guys still hit the larger lures!
                    Green Old Town Loon 111
                    Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Originally posted by mepps3 View Post
                      Thanks for the video! What soft plastic are you using? Looked pretty good, so was just curious. Ever considering something with a larger profile to catch larger fish? I use 5" flukes or worms and catch smallies from 9-19" inches on the Rapidan/Rappahanock rivers in VA. The little guys still hit the larger lures!
                      I was using a Berkley gulp minnow. I occasionally use flukes, and senkos. But I've never really found that I had to upsize my bait to catch bigger fish. I've actually caught more 3lb+ smallies on the gulp than I have on flukes, senkos, tubes, and top water combined.

Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
                      X