I tried a new launch site today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried a new launch site today

This morning I drove to Prince Frederick early to meet Hobie Angler 25 to buy the Navionics mapping card he had for sale. I rarely fish in southern Maryland, but while I was already that far south, I decided to try a completely new locale. I considered launching at Benedict or Broomes Island on the Patuxent. A tip of the hat to Ron Ault for suggesting Broomes Island, which is farther downstream – I hoped for a shot at a spec or red (that did not happen today). There are two opportunities to launch at Broomes Island. One is a commercial marina with a ramp fee. The other is a small county cartop launch called Nan’s Cove. It is not at water level. Instead they have a floating dock and a plastic launch platform with a series of rollers. There is space for 8-10 cars there.

I had no prior experience with fishing here so I tried to be systematic in checking out different depths and looking for structures or drop-offs. I initially tried to troll my four-rod spread close in to the shoreline, but did not have enough depth to keep my lures off the bottom. Once in the river, I could see from my GPS chart that the water was shallow a long way out from shore. I started trolling in 4’ depth. In a few minutes I hooked several stripers that were less than 10”. These Arkansas fish (little rock) were not what I wanted. I moved out to deeper water, 6’, 8’, 10’, etc. The bite was slow. At a 15’ contour I caught three 14” fish in the same area. The sonar marks looked good in that area so I worked it a while longer – but had no success. I decided to troll in a different direction. As I crossed over an area of 10’ depth, a 6'6" medium rod went down hard with line pulling against the drag. I was concerned that I had hooked a ray. But the head shakes gave me confidence that the fish had stripes. I was able to land the fish, which was 26.5” long. This is my largest striper since May and was a welcome visitor to my spread. I stayed in that area for a while longer hoping that some other larger fish were there. The sonar remained blank, and no more fish bit in that area. The fish was returned to the river after a quick photo session.

002.jpg

I finished after three hours with 10 little fish and one large one. I trolled two rods with ½-oz jigheads and 3" Fat Sam mullet paddletails , one with ½-oz jighead and 4” Gulp swimming mullet, and one rod with ¾-oz jighead and 4” Shadzilla paddletail. The Shadzilla and heavier jighead caught the large fish. The Gulp bait caught only one fish today. As often is the case, the Fat Sams were a popular lure (side note, I saw some minnows swimming in the cove -- they looked to be exactly the same size as the Fat Sam.)

To reward myself for catching the large striper I had a crabcake sandwich and a glass of Sweetwater grapefruit IPA at the nearby Stoney's restaurant.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Great report John and what a great fish for this time of year. Stoney's is always a nice reward.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Nice finish to a great morning!
      Last edited by J. Rentch; 08-07-2016, 06:55 AM.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Sounds like a perfect trip. Thanks for the report. Will have to check out that part of the state sometime!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Broome's Island is usually a good bet this time of year...and Stoney's is a Southern Maryland landmark...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

John,

That's a wonderful catch in new water (for you).

Congratulations on successfully surveying the area and finding the big one.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the report John; I'll have to get down there sometime.
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

You can launch close to there for free at Jefferson Paterson Park. Right out on the pax.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  To reward myself for catching the large striper I had a crabcake sandwich and a glass of Sweetwater grapefruit IPA at the nearby Stoney's restaurant.
                  I am glad that I am not the only one who does this. My stripper the other day earned me a large Slurpee and a bbq sandwich. That Sweetwater IPA is amazing, I would love to fine it on tap again.
                  Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                  Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Stoney's is on Maryland's Top 10 out of the way places to eat! Always a must stop place when I'm in the area.

eyedaddy

Comment

Excellent report! Im glad you made the best of your day! I went out this morning to 7ft Knoll...jigged around a bit but had 0 results. Glad you had a great trip!

Tightlines!
                      Zach Bennett
                      Linthicum MD
                      2014 Hobie Outback
                      Instagram: YakinZak
                      Youtube: YakinZak
                      Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X