Potomac River Across from Old Town Alexandria 07/31/16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potomac River Across from Old Town Alexandria 07/31/16

Had to keep it close to home today. Made a quick midday run up to Blue Plains (Across from Old Town Alexandria). Yes, I know.. pretty gross...but it's that proverbial port in a storm. Stripers have been there for months. A few keepers but mostly shorts. (I say keepers loosely as I wouldn't keep a thing from there anyhow.) Although if you are looking to bend a rod it's consistent. (20) plus stripers this afternoon along with a couple walleye a 20" and 24".

July 2016 088.jpgJuly 2016 087.jpgJuly 2016 081.jpg
    Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
    Predator 13

Did you put in and cross over? I'm in Waldorf and keep wanting to come up that way, but have never made it. I want to see if there are snake heads under the bridge on the other side if 295...i keep hitting Farmington Landing and fishing around the fort Washington lighthouse...
    Hobie Outback
    Stand Up Paddle Board
    Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
      Did you put in and cross over? I'm in Waldorf and keep wanting to come up that way, but have never made it. I want to see if there are snake heads under the bridge on the other side if 295...i keep hitting Farmington Landing and fishing around the fort Washington lighthouse...
      Yes, I put in at Belle Haven Marina and paddle a few miles up and over.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Awesome walleyes! Love those fish.

Comment

Nice report.
          I went to Belle Haven 3 weeks ago and found too much weed on the surface of the water to launch my kayak.
          From the quality of the water in your pictures, I guess you fished around the outfall of the DC water treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Burker View Post
            Nice report.
            I went to Belle Haven 3 weeks ago and found too much weed on the surface of the water to launch my kayak.
            From the quality of the water in your pictures, I guess you fished around the outfall of the DC water treatment.
            Yes, the outflow. Weeds were still an issue in the area. Jigging the deeper water not much of a problem.
            Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
            Predator 13

Comment

It is a long way to paddle. will make one exhausted if the weeds are thick.

Comment

Launch under the Wilson bridge, that'll trim a mile off the commute each way.

Comment

You can easily get around the weeds. Fred driver is right, you can launch under the WWB. I drop in at Belle Haven since my kayaks are already there.
                  Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                  Predator 13

Comment

Where exactly can you park & launch under the WWB? Virginia side?

Comment

Originally posted by Gitzet View Post
                      https://www.nps.gov/gwmp/planyourvisit/jonespoint.htm
                      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                      Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Gitzet View Post
                        By the way, if you decide to go over there and have a Hobie, (even paddling) be aware that there are several obstructions that are exposed at low tide and are just below the surface at high. (3) are within a 75-100 foot radius of the outflow.
                        Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                        Predator 13

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
                            By the way, if you decide to go over there and have a Hobie, (even paddling) be aware that there are several obstructions that are exposed at low tide and are just below the surface at high. (3) are within a 75-100 foot radius of the outflow.
                            Thank you!

Comment

Walleye catch is awesome. Was it by-catch or were you targetting?
                              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                              X