reservoir summer doldrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reservoir summer doldrums

haven't seen many reservoir reports recently. the peak temps of the last 3 weeks of July and early August are some of the toughest reservoir fishing, at least for me. the fish suspend a lot and chase huge schools of shad around the abyss which makes for tough fishing. Also, the night bite is where it is at during the doldrums but we are not allowed to fish night by the TPTB in Maryland (e.g. Balt City reservoirs, Piney Run, Black Hills and WSSC).

speaking with 4-time state record holder Jerry S. on RockyG one day in passing, he said the fish get moving again as soon as the water temps start dropping. (e.g. mid Aug).

Usually a power-fisherman, I found best luck with live crayfish this time of year.

See you on the water.

Hot damn. My wife and son today said they are 'ok' about relocating from MD to Alaska. (!!)

Might cash out the home equity for a no-mortgage move to AK where millions of tasty Salmon run small rivers and streams. Sure beats fishing a WSSC mudhole for a 5lb bass (with sores) that has been caught 10 times already past two years.
    Last edited by justacanoe; 07-31-2016, 10:59 PM.

I went to Triadelphia Saturday. In the 2 hours of fishing before the storm came me and my buddy only got 2 dinks. His on a wacky senko thrown at timber, mine dragging a big 10" worm deep around 15'. No doubt this time of the year the bite slows down. In my opinion it's essential to have a depth finder to catch a lot of reservoir bass in mid summer. It's next up to buy on my wish list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes, July has been unusually tough this year, I was on the water a lot, these are the best three for the month (all came on 10" ribbontail worms fished at a snail's pace)

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

nice healthy fish Turtle! nice to see no sores on them. Last year there were two sewage spills, one at Brown's Bridge and one at Scott's Cove. Last year was the first time in 14 years that I saw surface neon green algae bloom uplake. Perhaps the sores are (were?) due to residual Largemouth Bass virus that MD DNR identified at Triadelphia in 2010, http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/D...Bass_Virus.pdf. Maybe due to stress of frequent handling, general water quality, or all of the above. The last fish I caught at RG this year was a Scotts Cove dink with red sores and skin damage on his mouth.

for my AK bear gun I think I'll get a Henry .45-70 all weather.

https://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/a...-lever-action/

nice thing about .45-70 is the range of loads available, from light Cowboy action rounds to Buffalo Bore cannon loads. If I get it, I'll practice with the standard Rem. loads but carry Buff. Bore Bear loads when in the bush, and hope I never have to shoot them.
        Last edited by justacanoe; 08-02-2016, 07:16 AM. Reason: go Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by justacanoe View Post
          nice healthy fish Turtle! nice to see no sores on them.
          Those three are from Black Hill where I generally never see a beat up bass. I think all that hydrilla acts like a filter and provides for good water quality. On the other hand the bass I catch from the Tidal Potomac this time of year frequently look like they have been through the meat grinder.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Working...
          X