A quick heads up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick heads up

Due to last night's rain the ponds here in Columbia are chocolate soup and pretty much unfishable.
    I don't think that they will be clear enough to fish until next weekend.

The Patapsco River near Ellicott City is also pretty much out of the question.
    The river came up from 1.6 feet to over 23+ feet in the span of 2 hours according to the USGS Elkridge gauge which is a couple of miles downstream of E.C. If you have seen the news, you know that Ellicott City incurred devastating flooding because of this.
    Flood Stage is 11 feet.
    It has dropped down to a more reasonable level, but is still running high.
    Six inches of rain in 3 hours will do that!
    I fished Daniels above the dam last week, but I'd hold off a few days before I'd think about it. I expect that it is pretty torn up, too.

I expect the the Baltimore sections of the Patapsco-Middle Branch and Northwest Branch down to Key Bridge will get pretty muddy, as well.

The only good thing to come of all of this is the sewage spill on the Patuxent last week (2 million gallons!) is pretty much literally "flushed out."
    Last edited by bignose; 07-31-2016, 03:10 PM.

I had the chance to run up to the launch site above Daniels Dam this morning.
    There is extensive erosion damage to the roadway, although the parking area is useable. A great deal of washed down gravel, and wood is scattered all over the sides of the road.
    The water was a bit high, still pretty discolored and there is a lot of evidence of flooding over the banks.

But all things considered it could have been a lot worse……….

Comment

Further updates:
      The Baltimore Sun has posted information of substantial sewage leaks into the Patapsco (large drain pipe has ruptured) but also Gwynns Falls and Jones Fall after the flooding. This will affect the Baltimore Harbor area and Middle Branch as it washes down.
      The usual warnings about water contact applies.

Comment

Working...
      X