No-cost solution for managing pliers and grips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-cost solution for managing pliers and grips

Many of the newer fishing kayaks feature raised lawn chair-style seats with tubular frames. I like to keep the cockpit in front of my Native Slayer Propel 10 seat as open and free from tackle and tools as possible. Native and other companies make tool caddies, but they are costly, and some designs (especially those that mount to the side) take up cockpit space. I came up with a no-cost solution for keeping my pliers and Fishgrips under control using materials I already had around the house.

When my wife buys scarves, they often come with a plastic ring about 3.5" in diameter. She has no use for the rings. I took one of those rings and a short piece of thin bungee cord and attached it underneath the seat frame on my Slayer Propel 10. I can clip the tether of my pliers onto the ring and clamp the Fishgrips onto the ring. They will be secure there and easy to get at.

20160729_081620_resized.jpg 20160729_081648.jpg 20160729_081800_resized.jpg 20160729_082007_resized.jpg

I keep all the tackle I need in 1 or 2 trays that slide beneath the seats. That way, nothing other than the Propel drive is in the cockpit area.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Nice job, I just did something similar but without the scarf ring. I secured a bungee loop to chair & pliers snap to bungee & fish grips close over it as well.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

The bungee loop is all you need. I preferred hard plastic to the softer bungee material for keep the Fishgrips.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Great idea. John!

Comment

Here is my setup, had a rod with a slightly shorter butt than i was used to so i added gear tie to make safer......plier holder was an afterthought but worked great last trip
          14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
          2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
          X