Small Togs in CHSP, July 26, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Togs in CHSP, July 26, 2016

Went to CHSP for Togs and possible trigger fish and flounder. My 11 hour plan was:
    • Fish for togs outside of the inner wall for 30 minutes then go to the outer wall with outgoing tide.
    • Fish for togs during the slack tide at the outer wall. If the water is clear then try spear fishing. Nothing works then fish for trigger fish.
    • Come back to the inner wall during the tail end of incoming tide.
    • Fish for togs during the slack (low) tide.
    • Back to the pier to fish for flounder for an hour during the outgoing tide.

At the inner wall, I had 3 good tog bites (I thought they were 16 incher) but I couldn't hook any except some toad fish. I knew there were togs but I headed for the outer wall as I planned.
    I caught 3 togs @12-13" and several large toad fish on shrimp. The water was stained. The visibility of the water was about 8'. I dove any way. I barely saw some small togs. I gave up spear fishing and tried to catch trigger fish. I caught more toad fish and a ray.

I came back to the inner wall and caught 7 togs and many toad fish in low tide. All togs were @11-14".
    I fished for 30 minutes near the destroyed pier for flounder without feeling any bites.

Next time, I will fish the inner wall all day. I am sure I will hook some keeper togs

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Tog are tough this time of year, but I'm sure there are some keepers somewhere right now.

On a side note, I've seen a few pictures in the Coastal Fisherman lately of some beefy sheepshead up to 14 lbs caught from the Outer Wall.
    Brian

Comment

I was down there last weekend. Went to Delaware paddle sports and bought a new outback. Took it to cape henlopen to try it out. I am not familiar with the area , had never been there before. I just trolled around trying out my new kayak. Went out to the rock island I guess is the inner wall. I tried jigging a little while and snagged a small tog. Talked to some other kayak fisherman there, one had 3 keeper flounder, one had 1 keeper and the other had none. So is there another island out farther that is the outer wall? I think I will be down there next week and will try it out again.

Comment

Mike O,
        You can see the outer wall from the middle of the inner wall where the square rocks are stacked nicely. The outer wall is about 2 miles from the inner wall. To catch tog, you don't have to go to the outer wall. The only reason nowadays for me to go to the outer wall is possible spear fishing opportunity because the water is clearer there. For tog fishing, I will stay at the inner wall so that I can fish possibly 1.5 hours more.

I got smarter. I go to the outer wall with outgoing tide and come back with the incoming tide. The waves to the outer wall (beach side) can be very bad. The current is usually very strong because the water goes through the narrow opening between the outer wall and the beach. If you are pedaling against both current and wind, it may take 1.5 hours to go to or come back from the outer wall. For example, If your regular pedaling speed is 3.5 mph, and wind pushes you back by 1 mph, and the current pushes you back 1 MPH, your speed is only 1.5 mph or less.

The waves at the outer wall are usually higher. The outside of the outer wall is Atlantic Ocean.

Joe
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Thanks for the info, Joe

Comment

Small Togs in CHSP, July 26, 2016

We sort of just missed each other Joe. I was in Lewes all week but didn't get out until Thursday. I was wondering about that outer wall. I had never been to chsp in the yak and couldn't see a second wall, I guess because of the fog if it is 2 miles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mweber02 View Post
              We sort of just missed each other Joe. I was in Lewes all week but didn't get out until Thursday. I was wondering about that outer wall. I had never been to chsp in the yak and couldn't see a second wall, I guess because of the fog if it is 2 miles out.

You will see the outer wall one day. You can see the Light house - it looks similar to the one on the inner wall. For Tog, I don't think you need to go to the outer wall.
              Somehow consistently, I caught more Togs during the low tide.

Joe

Comment

I'll be back at CHSP 8/12-14. I'll keep an eye on the fishing reports and may need to pick your brain a little about the tog. I've never tried for them.

Mike

Comment

Fished CHSP on Sunday And Monday 8/7 and 8 /8. Sunday went out to the inner wall and tried for flounder with no luck . In the afternoon I tried a jigging spoon and caught Some croaker and sea bass and also one tog. Unfortunately there were all very small. Seemed to be lots of croakers around. On Monday there was no wind and the water was like glass. I went to the inner wall and picked up a couple more croaker. Since there was no wind I decided to go out to the outer wall. I trolled a tony and a paddle tail on the way out. I picked up a really small blue on the tony. I also jigged on some marks and caught a couple really small sea trout. At the outer wall I had a really nice drift along the front side. No luck again on the flounder rig. I again switched to a jigging spoon picked up a sea bass and had a couple of other hits but that was it. I've never fished for tog before but when I go back I'll probably get some crabs and try for them

Comment

The water is too warm for keeper size tog. I hope you can fish in Mid-September - Mid- Nomber when the water is colder.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X