Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 fish day with my son on the Juniata River, PA

106 fish actually.
    We arrive at first light to find fish rising to a hatch, we were getting our boats together so were'nt too excited untill a 16"+ brown trout started feeding near the ramp. My son Ethan, cast a small spinner and caught a 6" trout right off, but that was it. The last trout sightings of the day.
    We began oir float and it took a while to find the preferred lures of the day. The water was real low and clear. We saw lots of big smallies, but they were not interested. When we finally found that inline spinners, 1.3" grubs and some very small crawfish plugs in bright colors were gonna be our ticket, the action was pretty steady. Ethan and i decided to have contest for most fish since big ones were not happening. We counted all species and i did catch a couple new ones: fall fish and rock bass. More than 90% ofour fish were smallmouth bass.
    While I was behind most of the day, in the end it was Dad 56- Son 50. Of the roughly 94 smallies we caught, about 20%were around 12 inches, 20% 6 " and under. We each lost one "bigger" fish, but they got off too far from kayaks to speculate size. When we pulled out a fellow told us there had been a tourney the previous weekend.....could that have made the bigger fish more wary?
    Between paddling and catching, we did a bad job with pics...but here is my son with one an early day bass.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Sounds like a terrific day, Kevin- any day on the water with your Son is a great day...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

my 56th fish was only about 4.5 inches long LOL
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Too much math, my head is hurting. Glad you had a good day though
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"