Talk to me about Peanut Bunker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Peanut Bunker

Someone recently advised me to emulate the Peanut Bunker this time of year.. seems like good advice.

I had a chrome rattle trap that looked a bit like them, I had good luck with it until an errant crab pot stole it from me.

What do you guys use to emulate peanut bunker? I have looked and found a few products but most are a green or bronze-ish color.
    bunker.jpg

I have even been considering learning how to toss a cast net from my kayak to get live bunker.. but that seems like just one more thing to mess with in the kayak.
    People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Originally posted by Pat Smith View Post
    What do you guys use to emulate peanut bunker?
    Each of these 3 inch paddletails has caught stripers for me -- some by trolling, some by casting:

P1010810.jpg

The jig heads range from 1/8 oz. to 1/2 oz.

I don't worry much about color unless reports on the water on Channel 68 indicate a distinct color is hot at that particular moment.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I agree with Mark. A few weeks ago I posted this photo of a dead peanut bunker I found floating near a ramp. The photo shows the dead fish next to two of the Fat Sam mullet paddletails Mark shows.

001-match the hatch.jpg

I have caught numerous stripers to 23" over the past week using that lure.

The Rat-L-Trap type lure in Pat's post also mimics the shape of the peanut bunker. If you are using a lure that looks good to you, and are not getting bites, try downsizing the lure. You can use the same style of lure (e.g., paddletail, crankbait) but sometimes you may want to match the size range of the bait in the water where you are fishing.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

my only comment.....peanut bunker don't taste anything like peanuts. Be advised
        Last edited by kevinfry; 07-27-2016, 09:37 AM.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          I agree with Mark. A few weeks ago I posted this photo of a dead peanut bunker I found floating near a ramp. The photo shows the dead fish next to two of the Fat Sam mullet paddletails Mark shows.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19614[/ATTACH]

I have caught numerous stripers to 23" over the past week using that lure.

The Rat-L-Trap type lure in Pat's post also mimics the shape of the peanut bunker. If you are using a lure that looks good to you, and are not getting bites, try downsizing the lure. You can use the same style of lure (e.g., paddletail, crankbait) but sometimes you may want to match the size range of the bait in the water where you are fishing.
          When you downsize your lure it is important to pay attention to your hooks...I change out factory trebles and go with Eagle Claw Lazer 4X hooks...lost too many fish to inferior, bendable hooks...pretty much stuck with the jighead hooks (no pun intended) so I just sharpen then to a fine point and loosen the drag a bit when I have a big fish on...good luck
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Looking at the picture of that dead peanut bunker.. you can totally see how the Opening Night paddle tail does so well. I love that picture J.A. Veil

So paddle tails are the go to lure.. I have been using those almost exclusively. And rattle traps are good too, got that. Is anyone doing anything else? Anyone getting live peanut bunker and hooking those up? any other hard or soft bait people use?
            People who use the word "literally" wrong literally kill me.

Comment

Don't forget topwater! When you find peanuts you will usually see them splashing around on top (and hopefully bass splashing around too). I've had good success with the small rapala skitterwalks and x-walks and the smaller rebel jumpin minnows. I don't think color matters too much with topwater because I throw bone or white 90% of the time.
              Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Small Tony spoons with feathers are also killer peanut imitators. ....and bluefish tolerant

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

uploadfromtaptalk1469632609969.jpg
                  easy to see bunker profile and feather imitates tail motion

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is anyone doing anything else? Anyone getting live peanut bunker and hooking those up?
                    The effort required to keep peanut bunker alive to live line is not worth it. They aren't very hardy compared to say mullet, spot, or perch and will die fairly quickly if you don't give them a steady supply of oxygen or new water. You'll do plenty fine throwing topwater or any small lure with a deep profile. If there are fish on the peanuts, they'll find your lure!
                    Brian

Comment

Anyone getting live peanut bunker and hooking those up?
                      Not peanuts exactly but I've cast netted bunker in the 4-6 inch range and live lined 'em just like I would spot. They def aren't as hardy as spot like Slobber Bob mentioned but you can do it if you can net close to where you are fishing and its not too hot. I generally use a fish finder rig with an appropriate for the current/depth sinker and a 2/0 - 4/0 circle. Throw any that die in the cooler and freeze them for the next time you go catfishing. Bunker is great catfish bait in the lower Potomac as well.

Comment

I'm sure these guys are right about downsizing this time of year, given the abundance of small bait fish. But if you are only catching dinks, maybe upsizing is a way to target keepers? A 22" fish I caught last week had this sticking out out of it's mouth (how it was hungry enough to take my 3" paddle tail, I do not know).

IMG_20160722_082819168.jpg
                        Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

I had great luck last week snagging 3-4" bunker and live lining them next to a nearby piling. This week the same technique and location yielded nothing...
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                          X