two for one at Brenton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two for one at Brenton

Myself, Yak67, and Tony hit Brenton this morning. Launched at 5:30 and found little current as we were just before high tide and had a while to wait for things to turn around. Decided to hit the shore for some perch. My second fish felt like a good one but when I pulled it up I found that I had hooked both a perch and a striper on the same 1" lure. I've caught doubles before, but never two different species. We continued perch fishing and it remained slow while we waited for current. Finally around 7 it was moving and Tony picked up a 22" rock along the shore. I moved to some offshore humps and found a school of breaking fish but running 14 - 17". These same humps were holding some quality perch running 10" so I used a 3" gulp in yellow as a dual purpose lure as it was catching both in abundance. I called it quits around 8:30 when I had enough perch for dinner and the temp was already busting through 85 degrees. Fairly strong south wind kept it from being oppressive this morning but made for some fun bouncing away from shore.001.jpg002.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Interesting.

Stripers and perch often swim together and hit the same lures. But this is the first I've seen of the two species hitting the same lure simultaneously.

Thanks for sharing.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It is so funny when that happens. It is always good for a good chuckle. Even better when it is on the first cast.

Comment

That was a memorable catch. I was on the water for five hours this morning -- the heat grew steadily throughout the trip.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That little rebel took a beaten from both ends today!
          Way to get out there and get some fish before it got hot today.

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wasn't familiar with Brenton Bay and tried a google search, the closest thing that came up was Breton Bay in Leonardstown. Is this one of the same?
            -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Yes it is. We launch out of Abell's Wharf which is a St Mary' County owned ramp (see the county boat ramp website for directions). Has a single ramp, small pier and ample parking, and as with all county ramps it's free. There is also a kayak launch in Newtone Neck State Park that is on Breton Bay but I've never fished out of it, my PA likes a ramp. Would help if I could spell Breton correctly in my post as well.
              Mike
              Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I drove down to Newtowne Neck yesterday to check the area out and the kayak launch sites. Looks like a decent area around St. Nicholas creek for WP and into Breton bay area for rockfish. I'm tempted for Friday morning, but low tide is 0509 and slack tide 0730.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's cool, good to know there is stuff happening down that way next time
                  I plan for a new location. Thanks!

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                  Yes it is. We launch out of Abell's Wharf which is a St Mary' County owned ramp (see the county boat ramp website for directions). Has a single ramp, small pier and ample parking, and as with all county ramps it's free. There is also a kayak launch in Newtone Neck State Park that is on Breton Bay but I've never fished out of it, my PA likes a ramp. Would help if I could spell Breton correctly in my post as well.
                  -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Working...
                  X