CBBT Flounder and Cobia - July 23, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBBT Flounder and Cobia - July 23, 2016

Dave and I headed for CBBT for sheepshead and flounder. It was very hot day but I was enthusiastic because I haven't been fishing often. I worked or visited my grand kids on weekends for a long time.

We didn't get any sheepshead bite. We caught several flounder. Dave landed 2 keeper at 17" and 19", and I landed 1 keeper at 21.5".

I constantly looked for signs of cobia. And I found them right next to a bridge column. There were 2 cobia at 6-7' and 2 remora eel at a first glance. Then I found that the 2 remora eel were cobia not remora. I cast a cobia buck-tail and landed a small cobia.

fishing log:

Thank you
    Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-25-2016, 07:55 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Glad to see you are back at it- Joe...congrats on the keeper flounder- and finding the fish...

The CBBT is one very large fishing area stretching some 17 miles...some places are loaded with fish and others- not so much...Latimer Shoals is a Cobia hotspot every year- for some reason they usually are hanging around there, but so are sharks in the 100-300 pound range- they can definitely pull some line off your reel...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There you are! Some of us were wondering where you have been! LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      -Mustafa
      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
      2016 Hobie Outback
      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice report as always, Joe. I know it wasn't one of the big ones you saw, but a cobia is a cobia in my book! Congrats!
        Brian

Comment

Thanks for the report Joe, I've missed your reports on here!
          I have not made it to CBBT yet this year (and may not at all), this helps my withdraw a little bit...
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I'm also going through cbbt withdrawal so thanks for the encouraging report!
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

fun report, joe!
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Great video. Looks like a fantastic day of fishing. Cool flounder and cobia too.

Comment

I may be able to fish tomorrow. I made fishing plan in case I can fish:
                  • I already have 3 dozens of frozen shrimp (shrimp is backup bait in case the bait store is out of baits)
                  • Buy more Gulp swimming mullet for flounder on the way back home.
                  • Make sure bring enough hooks size 4, 2, 1, 2/0, 3/0 and 4/0 for spade, trigger, and sheeshead
                  • Bring more 4 and 5 OZ sinkers
                  • Arrive at Ocean East II by 05:30 AM to buy 2 dozens of fiddler crab, 2 clams, and 2 blue crab. If baits aren't available, fish for flounder all day.
                  • Launch before 7:00 AM
                  • Don't forget the Cobia tackles. Constantly look for any signs of cobia
                  • Bring enough foods and drinks.
                  • 08:30 AM (Slack tide, incoming changes to outgoing) - Fish 2 hours around this time for sheep, trigger, spade)
                  • 03:00 PM (Slack tide, outgoing changes to incoming) - Fish 2 hours around this time for sheep, trigger, spade)
                  • All other times, move or fish for flounder
                  • Watch the sky for thunder storm from 3:00 PM

Good luck to anyone fishing CBBT tomorrow.

Joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM.
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Dang Joe now you have me thinking about going!
                    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                    X