Eastern Shore Traveling Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Shore Traveling Report

Stopped at Anglers on Friday night to gear up for this weekend of traveling/fishing off the yak. This morning I launched on the Wicomico River south of Salisbury and ran into some awesome Gar breaking the surface feeding. Continued to fish for snakehead (my only target this morning). Decided to call it in after no success after about 4 hours. I then traveled to Ocean City and couldn't figure out where to launch...there was no parking on the bay side at all (where all the launch points were)...So i said forget it I'm going beyond the breakers...I launched at 56th street...Waves were breaking pretty bad and I got my Cuda out just to where i thought the breakers would end. and I got flipped. Somehow my rod leash wasn't secured on my Penn Battle...and that rod is now on the bottom of the ocean.

beach.jpggar.jpg
    Zach Bennett
    Linthicum MD
    2014 Hobie Outback
    Instagram: YakinZak
    Youtube: YakinZak
    Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Bummer to hear about your lost rod. I, too, was casting for fish over on the eastern shore but in different locations.

Comment

Itll be ok! they can be replaced but my life cant. so Im glad i came out safely
      Zach Bennett
      Linthicum MD
      2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

So true. In fact, I launched early this morn @ 1st light & the water was calm.... But then the winds kicked up out of nowhere( weatherman gets it wrong again) & after a few fish caught the waves got bigger & bigger. A buddy of mine & I decided to return & seek more sheltered waters. We surfed the waves back to the launch, then launched elsewhere in sheltered waters. Of course, the winds & waves subsided but it was lunchtime & we were toast from the sun & paddling/pedaling. It's best to err on the side of safety.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, what did you get the gar on?
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

There aren't many launch locations on the bayside of OC. You need to use the public inlet ramp; located on corner of Golf Course Rd and Sunset Ave. From there you will have access to the bayside or OC inlet. The only other one is the Isle of Wight which is the small piece of land between the St. Martin River Bridge and the Rt. 90 bridge. You can also launch under the Verrazano Bridge that takes you into Assateague Island. It cost $10 I believe, where the others are free.

If you make another ES trip and have questions about launches, send me a PM. I live in Salisbury and can point you in the right direction so you aren't forced into a surf launch again. Glad you are OK; sorry about the rod. Awesome shot of the gar too!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Not to sure if this site is still available, all indications are...
              Homer Gudelsky Park
              http://www.worcesterrecandparks.org/...-gudelsky-park
              Google Maps...
              https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ol...!4d-75.1117632

And of course the maps from DNR
              http://dnr.maryland.gov/boating/Page...worcester.aspx

and the other Md Maps...
              https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/app...1a47d4df3951e6

Comment

I couldn't get the Gar to bite on anything! this was just a candid shot they were leaping out of the water non stop all morning that day
                Zach Bennett
                Linthicum MD
                2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

I will definitely keep you in mind! thank you so much for the info. I will probably be hitting the ocean again in September. Ill be sure to hit ya up!
                  Zach Bennett
                  Linthicum MD
                  2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Head south to Chincoteague more kayak friendly than OC and your ok to fish with your md license.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                      Head south to Chincoteague more kayak friendly than OC and your ok to fish with your md license.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
                      True. Just make sure you register for your FIP number.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Yes sir, I hit up Chincorteague earlier this year... I made it a point to go there to "visit family" haha Had a blast chasing the Drum there.
                        Zach Bennett
                        Linthicum MD
                        2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X