Vehicle Rod Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle Rod Rack

I do many road trips and live out of my family minivan with the seat all or mostly removed in the back. Rod storage has always been a bit of a issue. I picked up a 10' piece of 1/2 inch PVC today, cut it to length, drilled a couple holes at each end, and think I have something that will work pretty well. I added 1/2" pipe insulation to create spacers and prevent rod tips from sliding. I also fashioned wire clothes hangers into rear hanger so that rods don't necessarily have to run all the way over the front seats. I just stuck those up in the molding. Total cost is roughly $3.50. I'd be happy for suggestions or to have flaws pointed out.

Full.jpghanger.jpgNo Hangers.jpgtie.jpg

Spacers.jpg
    Last edited by LivinTheDream; 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM.
    Bill

2018 Hobie Compass - Seagrass Green
    2015 Wilderness Ride 135 - Green Camo

Nice job.

I lay my rods on my van's floor and that works OK but I'd like to get them up near the ceiling and out of the way.

I tried bungee cords stretched from handle to handle but the darned rods bounced too much.

I like your idea with the PVC.

Let us know how your spacers work.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Try some grey foam pipe insulation. Cut into 1" to 2" pieces and slide them onto the PVC crossbars for spacers.

I am not sure if you will get much vibration and rattling noise from laying the rods directly on the PVC pipe.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I edited the original post to show the spacers as suggested, though I went with 3 to 4 inch spacers to start. I can always cut them smaller. I don't think vibration will be a problem, but if it is, I can slide the spacers to snug the rods.
        Bill

Comment

That's a really good idea. Great build. 👍
          2016 Ascend H12

Comment

Nice idea! I have used adjustable bungee with long tag ends to wrap the rods with. I have the same bouncing issue that Mark mentioned but it seems to be holding up.

Van camping has been a real convenience for me when fishing far away places. But the summer has put a dent in it because of the heat and ventilation issue which is related to keeping out the bugs as well.

I've looked into screens and am thinking of making a 'screened fan box' to place on the rear windows. Curious what you do for summer van camping?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

i found these pre made magnetic screens a while back, never purchased though

http://theskeeterbeater.com
              sigpic

Comment

Very nice, I recently did something similar and it's working out nicely. Only difference is I went with a shower curtain and bungee in the back. I twist the bungee a few times and slide the rod butt in the twists which holds them well. Sure beats laying them down in the center, constantly hitting them while shifting.
                -Jon
                Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                  i found these pre made magnetic screens a while back, never purchased though

http://theskeeterbeater.com
                  Yeah I've seen those. Also a couple of DIY pages on how to make something similar. I'm thinking of getting window visors though, which won't work with these...

Thanks!
                  -Mustafa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nicely done. I just use rope to go across with knots in them as spacers and velcro to keep the rods in place.

Outback 2015
                    Maui

Comment

I sleep in the van only when night temps get low enough. For me that's probably under 70 once the sun is down. I just run the AC on high and frigid for a while to cool the interior and everything in it then sleep with the windows up. I've thought about making screens, but haven't done that. I van camp mostly in PA and NY, so temperatures are not generally a problem, but I did spend a couple of nights in VA the end of last month.

I've found the ALLSTAYS app to be very helpful in finding good legal places to stay and often use Walmart lots.
                      Bill

Comment

This is what I did to store my rods in the van just little over a year.They ride nice no swinging.
                        For air in the van 12volt fans works great.
                        Attached Files
                        2012 hobie outback
                        2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

Originally posted by LivinTheDream View Post
                          I sleep in the van only when night temps get low enough. For me that's probably under 70 once the sun is down. I just run the AC on high and frigid for a while to cool the interior and everything in it then sleep with the windows up. I've thought about making screens, but haven't done that. I van camp mostly in PA and NY, so temperatures are not generally a problem, but I did spend a couple of nights in VA the end of last month.

I've found the ALLSTAYS app to be very helpful in finding good legal places to stay and often use Walmart lots.
                          Thanks for the info. That's a good idea about the the AC. I guess we don't sleep in enough (waking up at dawn to fish) that it doesn't get too stuffy in there.

I've always wondered about the Walmart parking. Do you have to ask for permission or do you just assume it's ok. Is it like a chain wide policy?

Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM.
                          -Mustafa
                          2016 Hobie Outback
                          2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by coop1486 View Post
                            This is what I did to store my rods in the van just little over a year.They ride nice no swinging.
                            For air in the van 12volt fans works great.
                            How do you have the fans setup? Do you open the windows any? If so, what do you do for the bugs?

-Mustafa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Looks Great! If they bounce try to cover the PVC completely with the foam pipe insulation then get some larger diameter pieces to go over the base to use as a spacer.

eyedddy

Comment

Working...
                              X