Lots of new pedal drive kayaks introduced at I-Cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of new pedal drive kayaks introduced at I-Cast

Others have posted here about all the exciting new kayak models introduced at the recent I-Cast show. The fishing kayak community wanted more pedal-drive options, and the manufacturers heard them. New entries to the pedal-drive world include Wilderness, Old Town, Feel-Free, and Perception. Hobie introduced a reverse feature on their Mirage drive, and Native added a new Manta Ray hull to their Propel line. At the Outdoor Retailers show coming up in early August, it is likely that even more pedal drive options will be introduced.

Innovation and competition should help improve products over time, and often helps to move prices lower. Having said that, keep in mind that all the pedal drive units whether existing or new are complex mechanical devices with many parts and lots of things that move and wear. Regardless of which model you buy, be prepared to do some maintenance and adjustment in order to keep your pedal drive working well. The new models introduced at I-Cast have had in-house testing, but have not been subjected to different types of use (and abuse) by large numbers of regular kayakers. This includes pedaling, running into objects, installing and removing the drive units, etc. Inevitably new units sold during the first few months will have some quirks and flaws that will be subsequently revised by the manufacturers.

Things to look for include:
    - ease of installation and removal
    - weight
    - noise
    - ability to adjust to different positions for large and small users
    - durability
    - warranty from manufacturer for the entire pedal drive kayak and for the drive unit itself
    - cost
    - recommended maintenance
    - ability to move in reverse as well as forward

Potential buyers have many exciting options to consider during the upcoming winter. Enjoy and caveat emptor (buyer beware). As a member of Native's Pro Staff team I am proud to represent the first company to have offered pedal-drive units that move in reverse as well as forward.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

That new manta ray 12 propel looks amazing! I'm glad you shared the link the other day as I hadn't herd anything from native at icast. Seems everyone was stuck on the wildy, hobie, and old town drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Take a look at this section of the Native Watercraft owners group website at http://nativeownersgroup.com/forum/5...opel%E2%84%A2/. You can see some photos of the new Manta Ray Propel. It, like many of the other new models displayed at the show, are prototypes. Details will be refined and tweaked before the kayaks go into full production.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

The Manta Ray looks a little like my Mariner except even faster. I like it. Not sure what bells and whistles they left off except they used rod wells instead of scotty mounts.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Working...
        X