Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size 3000-ish reel recommendations?

Default Size 3000-ish reel recommendations?

Not looking to break the bank, trying to keep cost well below $100. Can anyone give any recommendations for small reels in the 3000 size class that would do well with 20-25 lb braid spooled to them, for mostly saltwater use? I like my shimano sahara 4500, so I might just get another smaller one, but might want to branch out to try a penn battle or fierce II. Also a used but well maintained made-in-the-usa penn spinfisher from ebay is on the table. Any advice is appreciated, especially on long term usage and reliability. Thank you

I use just Penn Battle II's 4000 series, have been working well for me the last two years and don't break the bank. Get mine's on Amazon, cheaper than BPS. Great for the trolling the Bay or bottom fishing. Just big enough to handle the Bay fishing from a Yak.

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE #217

Even the Penn Fierce's hold up well and they are fairly cheap. 2500 is fine for most all kayak fishing in the bay.
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Co-Founder - www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com
    Hobie Local Kayak Fishing Team - Backyard Boats, MD

about 30 bux out of your higher end budget on amazon and a little smaller, but this penn clash 2500 has had an amazing drag so far and have brought in rays in 3-4 minutes and a bunch of rockfish. ive heard great things about the battle II, and the older penn ss spinfishers were a tank for years for me. this year i chose to go with 2500 size reels, trying to get lighter and smaller, and have had no problems. these days, not sure you can go wrong with any penn, shimano, or daiwa with that price range for the bay

FB_IMG_1468889789051.jpg

+1 on the penn fierce reels. I've had mine 2 years no issues. The fierce 2 also is available in a bait runner reel but only comes in 2500, 4000, 6000, and 8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

If you decide to go with a Penn I would recommend checking West Marine. They have had Battle II combo deals for $100 in the past.
    Mike

Although I am a Shimano man, I decided to try an off brand reel, KastKing. I'm actually surprised at how well they perform. They aren't lighter than Shimano, but they have pretty good drag and seem to hold up well so far. They are cheap in price, and don't seem to be cheaply made. I'm happy with it and it's a nice cheap reel to have...
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I got the Clash 3000 and love it...just a tad more line than the 2500 but not much difference in weight, etc...super drag..high quality reel-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I picked up a Shimano 2500 Sienna at Dick's for about $15. Certainly not as nice as the Clash but hard to beat at that price!
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers Co-Founder - www.chesapeakebaykayakanglers.com
    Hobie Local Kayak Fishing Team - Backyard Boats, MD

Yeah i spoke to a guy who repairs reels for a living and he advised against penn battles and fierces, and recommended the shimano symetre. So that's what i think i will go with. thanks for the suggestions though everyone, really nice to hear that he might be mistaken in the case of the penns.