OBX Redfishin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBX Redfishin'

I had the week off last week from all of life's responsibilities, so I decided to go where the water is clear and blue and chase some puppy drum. I had never been to Hatteras or Okrakoke island and the water at Oregon inlet on the way down looked pretty cloudy from recent rains. I fished a bunch of different spots but the pattern seemed to be the same. Find the grass beds and any areas with variations in structure (deeper holes, shallower humps, channels in the grass etc) Generally these spots would also be best when current was also moving water on the upper end of the tide (2hrs before and 2hrs after high tide)
    On Saturday Mustafa came down to join in the fun. We did end up battling the wind (as well as the floating grass it can produce) so the gold spoon shown ended up being my new favorite. It casts really far even against the wind and deflects the grass pretty well too.

Here's some pics

Almost forgot, a big shout out and thanks to Steve Fogle of Backyard Custom Rods for the awesome pup rod he built for me!

John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback

Nice work John. Those catches must have been a lot of fun.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Good report, as always. I enjoyed getting the real time pics, too. I didn't know about the flounda!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

It was an awesome time! Plus getting to fish new water is always exciting!

Unfortunately for me I didn't have any weedless spoons, so I downsized from a quarter ounce jig to an eighth and rigged it in a modified Texas rig to keep it as weedless as possible. The weedless part worked but the high winds made getting a long cast out of a light weight jig very difficult.

These redfish were very skiddish and you had to cast to them before they can see you. So distance was key but my only option was to cast with the wind direction, any variation and my lure plopped five feet from the Kayak.

It was a great outing with great company.

Here are some pics

My first lizard fish

And of course no fishing would be complete without some Masgouf!

This was done on the grill instead of traditionally on an open flame. Old Bay lemon butter (mostly) boneless Redfish... Mmmmm mmmmm good!
        Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 07-13-2016, 09:46 PM.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Next time we're gonna have to try that at camp! Looks so goood
          John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice info! If I bring my kayak down to obx with me in August, I will try to use all the info you provided here. Most likely will be fishing from a small bowrider though, not as fun, but will give me the ability to move around a whole lot more to different spots.

Comment

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
              Next time we're gonna have to try that at camp! Looks so goood
              Most definitely!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

i miss redfish... been a few years since ive caught any. Awesome John and Mustafa!
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

NICE trip guys can't wait until my trip in september
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    i miss redfish... been a few years since ive caught any. Awesome John and Mustafa!

Who knows, with the hot summer we're having here, they may wander up the Chesapeake like they did in the summers of 2012-2013!

Comment

Sweet little trip! It's hard to beat fishing the shallow grass flats!
                      Brian

Comment

Congratulations to both of you. You battled trying conditions and succeeded.

I've yet to catch a redfish but I keep hoping. You two caught some nice ones.

Not being familiar with them I was intrigued by the variations in their spots -- size, shape and number. One had 6 spots. I bet that's unusual.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Not that unusual to find them with a few more than the standard single spot...
                          John Hostalka

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

great pics and nice fish

Comment

Great report, redfish are on my list of fish to target one day. Glad y'all had a good outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Desert Camo- Moken 14
                              Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                              X