No announcement yet.

OBX Redfishin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Gents! Funny things regarding the spots is one of the rare times I caught mostly single spot fish. Most of the time they have multiple spots when I catch them. They are a beautiful fish!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

nice fish. Redfish are a absolute blast on light tackle. Lots of power I guess due to that big tail. Less head shake than a speck but more frieght train pull than a striper.
      And a man can certainly live well off them! Excellent on the grill.

Comment

My brother and I used to fish there once or twice yearly. Sadly, he's moved to FL, and I no longer have a partner to go to Hatteras Island. Even more sadly, I am sitting at home with a badly busted, surgically-repaired, left collar bone. We stay at Drum Dumb's place; they cater to fisherman with inexpensive, clean, quiet rooms. If you think the fishing's good now; try the fall season. I may get to use my kayak again in September/October if I'm lucky. Oh, if headed to the OBX, try fishing inside, around corners, and past the Marina at Oregon Inlet. Beware! Like Hatteras Inlet, currents are fast and treacherous. I prefer Oregon Inlet - fewer Bull Sharks when kayaking. (Enter heavy sigh here..) Maybe this fall on Hatteras Island, maybe find a partner to go with.... in the mean time...I wish you all tight lines and the very best! I miss kayak fishing sooooo much. Cheers.
        DaveO
        Arnold/Annapolis
        Yellow Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
          My brother and I used to fish there once or twice yearly. Sadly, he's moved to FL, and I no longer have a partner to go to Hatteras Island. Even more sadly, I am sitting at home with a badly busted, surgically-repaired, left collar bone. We stay at Drum Dumb's place; they cater to fisherman with inexpensive, clean, quiet rooms. If you think the fishing's good now; try the fall season. I may get to use my kayak again in September/October if I'm lucky. Oh, if headed to the OBX, try fishing inside, around corners, and past the Marina at Oregon Inlet. Beware! Like Hatteras Inlet, currents are fast and treacherous. I prefer Oregon Inlet - fewer Bull Sharks when kayaking. (Enter heavy sigh here..) Maybe this fall on Hatteras Island, maybe find a partner to go with.... in the mean time...I wish you all tight lines and the very best! I miss kayak fishing sooooo much. Cheers.
          Thanks for your note bro! Greatly appreciate it. I pray for your quick recovery so you can get on the water sooner than you anticipate!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
          -Mustafa
          ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
          2016 Hobie Outback
          2012 Hobie Revolution 13
          "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Where is that place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2014 Hobie Outback
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
            2nd PLACE
            Slam Division

Comment

Originally posted by Ken kayak View Post
              Where is that place

Where's OBX?

It's the abbreviation for the Outer Banks, NC

Comment

Oh thank you

2014 Hobie Outback
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                2nd PLACE
                Slam Division

Comment

In Avon NC now for a long weekend. Will take the Hobie up to Oregon Inlet tomorrow (Sunday 8-21) to try my luck. Always enjoy Jhoss' posts.

Comment

I'll be down here camping Labor Day weekend. I think I'm going to leave my truck at the south end and launch from there. Play around in the sound for a day or so and then go surf side for sharks

Zack
                    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Launching at the ramps at the Oregon inlet if you stay close to the left coming out towards the bridge, there is a really nice channel. Caught a ton of small reds, a 15" sheepshead, tons of crabs using a high low fluke rig with sand flees on top and small Berkley shrimp on bottom. Most reds took the sand flees. My son and I did much better than the guys using thawed shrimp. Action was constant. 3 weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishinfool View Post
                        Who knows, with the hot summer we're having here, they may wander up the Chesapeake like they did in the summers of 2012-2013!
                        They are...
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                          I'll be down here camping Labor Day weekend. I think I'm going to leave my truck at the south end and launch from there. Play around in the sound for a day or so and then go surf side for sharks

Good luck man! Hope you get the best of both worlds!
                          Zach Bennett
                          Linthicum MD
                          2014 Hobie Outback
                          Instagram: YakinZak
                          Youtube: YakinZak
                          Email: Yakinzak@gmail.com

Comment

Put in at Oregon Inlet this morning ( Monday) and fished for 2 1/2 hours. Strong wind from the north was real tough to handle---I was the only kayaker out there. Finally hid behind one of the islands out there and caught some 12" rockfish and a few 14" flounder. Not a bust, but I need to get a better understanding of when/how to fish that area. Hope to come back this fall---
                            Al

Comment

I fished there on Saturday and Sunday. The current was strong on a full moon but doable. I worked the grass flats and caught small micro puppy reds and some 15-20" specks. The speck bite came at sunrise.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Which side did you all launch on?

Zack
                                Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                                Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                                "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment