2 days camping on Chincoteague

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 days camping on Chincoteague

Got down to Chincoteague yesterday around noon. The plan was to launch out of the inlet, find a nice sandy beach, catch bait, and see what was hitting.

The 5-10 predicted winds were easily 10-15 launching out of the inlet. I found a spot worthy of my tent behind a mudflat, got setup, and threw out some fish bites. Within seconds I had my first fish, a little Black Sea bass*

Threw him back with the hopes of getting some real bait. Second cast yielded a nice fat pinfish. Rigged him up on the shark rod and paddled him out about 100 yards from my camp n dropped him down. Paddled back to camp and jigged some while waiting for my big rig to start singing.

I'm sitting there jigging and notice that my rod tip is just slowly bending down towards the horizon, and then it just stops. No line peeled no nothing. Just sitting there bent over, real awkward like.

I went over to my rod and started feeling expecting to reel in a clump of grass or a small skate. It felt pretty heavy, and I was practically dragging it in the whole way. I've had rays act like that before and was expecting it to be one as it was moving ever so slightly and slowly when I got it into shallower water.

About 10 yards from shore I finally get it up to the surface. A juvenile sandbar shark that had no fight until I brought him out of the water

My brothers and I have caught and dealt with big sharks. And without a doubt these smaller sharks put the angler at a much greater risk of getting bit. These things move so erratically and with such speed, all the while trying to bite you. With a big shark you can get on the side of him, put your knee on his pec fin, and he can't turn on you. These little ones are scrappy.

Got the hook out and released him with no problem. Felt good to finally scratch my shark itch I've been having all year even if it was a smaller guy.

I called it a night and set up my camp

Woke up the next morning and the wind was blowing even harder. White caps everywhere. Sharking was pretty much out of the question so I decided to see what would hit fish bites. Sea bass, whiting, pinfish, and a nice samich sized croaker kept me occupied throughout the morning.

The NOAA forecast kept getting sketchier and sketchier. They were putting out a small craft advisory for Wednesday so I decided to head out early and beat the conditions. Going back in was rough with some decent swells, but I was happy with how the 4.7 performed.

All in all it was an awesome trip. I finally got to camp on a beach, catch my shark, and fight horse flies for two days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sega; 07-13-2016, 07:47 AM.
    Zack
    Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
    Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
    "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Reports like this are why snaggedline.com rocks!

Comment

Looks like you had a fun time! Kayak camping is the best. Thanks for sharing!

And your first fish was a juvenile black sea bass.
      Brian

Comment

Nice report, Sega. Kayak camping is tough to beat. I don't do it nearly as often as I should.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Black Sea bass! Corrected thanks Bob! Thanks Dan and D! It can get a little eery camping by yourself especially in areas that can get dangerous really quick. But it definitely creates some memories.

Zack
          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Looks like a nice little trip. I am getting the itch to do some kayak camping down there soon. Went last year at the end of August and had a pretty similar experience to yours. Winds were way under-forecast and we could only get out to the concrete ships for a little while and the channel behind fisherman's island. The real targets like the bridge tunnel and random bay side trolling for reds was out of the question but I still had a great time.
            Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

2 days camping on Chincoteague

Romo, are you the same Romo in Sea Money's videos? I remember him putting up a video just like what you described.

I went down that way in May. Was so blown out I couldn't even fish the ditch.

If you want to head down there and camp at the spot I did message me and I'll show you it. I think it's one of the few spots your actually allowed to setup shop at.

No camping on southern end of Assateague, definitely no camping on Wallops lol.

Zack
              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Thanks for the great report! I am heading down to the island at the end of this week for a family vacation and can't wait to get fishing.
                Ride 135 Green
                Big Tuna Orange
                12ft Bote HD
                Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

Originally posted by babiak View Post
                  Thanks for the great report! I am heading down to the island at the end of this week for a family vacation and can't wait to get fishing.
                  Good luck! I talked to a lot of guys down there and flounder is the way to go. No drum, very few specks. Lots of sharks and rays.

Zack
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

That sounds about perfect. Grew up catching flounder with by brother and it will be great for us to show our kids the same (optimism). Also, I want to get out at least one night for sharking. Mainly to scare the hell out of my brother.
                    Ride 135 Green
                    Big Tuna Orange
                    12ft Bote HD

Comment

That sounds about perfect. Grew up catching flounder with by brother and it will be great for us to show our kids the same (optimism). Also, I want to get out at least one night for sharking. Mainly to scare the hell out of my brother.
                      Oh you'll definitely have the opportunity to. Have you caught one before?

Zack
                      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Nothing over 36" but I have tried to go specifically for shark before up at CHSP in DE. Had my bait taken up twice but I got too excited and tried to set the hook too early.
                        Ride 135 Green
                        Big Tuna Orange
                        12ft Bote HD

Comment

Nothing over 36" but I have tried to go specifically for shark before up at CHSP in DE. Had my bait taken up twice but I got too excited and tried to set the hook too early.
                          I like those offshore angler 8/0 circles. They set well and if you need to cut the wire or hook, it'll definitely rust out.

Zack
                          Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

I picked up a few rigs from amazon "Shark Rig - 270# Cable 16/0 Circle Hook". With so many protected sharks in the bays so I wanted to stay away from J hooks. It is a heavy rig but I am only planning on running 50# line on a Penn 6000 with a heavy boat rod. I tried running an umbrella rig on 80# line a while back and almost flipped my kayak when I had the drag locked down and snagged the bottom.

I tried using some chum in the past but it was too much clutter and when the tide changed I ended up in my own slick. Did not feel real comfortable with that.
                            Ride 135 Green
                            Big Tuna Orange
                            12ft Bote HD

Comment

I picked up a few rigs from amazon "Shark Rig - 270# Cable 16/0 Circle Hook". With so many protected sharks in the bays so I wanted to stay away from J hooks. It is a heavy rig but I am only planning on running 50# line on a Penn 6000 with a heavy boat rod. I tried running an umbrella rig on 80# line a while back and almost flipped my kayak when I had the drag locked down and snagged the bottom.

I tried using some chum in the past but it was too much clutter and when the tide changed I ended up in my own slick. Did not feel real comfortable with that.
                              Yup simple is good. Those rigs will def work. If something happens you can always use a circle hook, 12" of single strand wire, and about 5' of 80-100# mono for a rig. I use a jigmaster and it's worked awesome for me. Could probably get away with using lighter line but I use 300y of 40lb braid attached to about 150y of 40lb mono. That 6000 will definitely handle em as long as you don't get anything too huge.

I never use chum it's too much work and guys get all pissy about it.

Zack
                              Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T

Comment

Working...
                              X