Dolphins (lots of them) near Herrington Harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dolphins (lots of them) near Herrington Harbor

I saw about 12 dolphins today while trolling. I yanked in my lines as quickly as I could and enjoyed the show. Got about 20' away.

Made my day. The fishing? Not so much. Trolled spoons and beetle spins in 7-15' of water trying to run into bluefish and had no luck. Anyone else catching blues in mid bay?
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Saw a few dolphins this last weekend near Solomon's Island bridge, we should start to see blues showing up in schools any day now. Cant wait to start throwing poppers at them in my kayak!

Comment

Dolphins are cool to see on the water but they will kill any hopes of catching blues, stripers, weakies, whatever... I'd stay as far away from them as possible because they are also "blue fishing."
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg View Post
        I saw about 12 dolphins today while trolling. I yanked in my lines as quickly as I could and enjoyed the show. Got about 20' away.

Made my day. The fishing? Not so much. Trolled spoons and beetle spins in 7-15' of water trying to run into bluefish and had no luck. Anyone else catching blues in mid bay?
        Yeah, they're cool and all, but admit it, they scared the crap out of you when they first popped up next to you. Every time I see Dolphins, they startle me, especially when they start blowing water. Had one pop up about 10' away out of nowhere. Almost fell out of the yak. Little bastard thought he was funny.
        Last edited by summersoff; 07-12-2016, 06:04 PM.
        Jay

10' Green Slayer
        13’ Red Slayer

Comment

As someone who has a life-long desire to swim with dolphins, I'd be torn between frantically paddling away in panic, or intentionally rolling my kayak over just to see if they would "rescue" me! I'm hoping they hang around until the weekend.

Oh, and per Hawg's question about blues, I caught one near Herrington this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SpaceCadet View Post
            As someone who has a life-long desire to swim with dolphins, I'd be torn between frantically paddling away in panic, or intentionally rolling my kayak over just to see if they would "rescue" me! I'm hoping they hang around until the weekend.

Oh, and per Hawg's question about blues, I caught one near Herrington this past weekend.
            I can't say I've ever wanted to swim with dolphins but I was excited to see them up close last December during a trip to Tampa, FL.

I wish I had held my hand steadier in this photo:

B.JPG

I wasn't sure what the dolphin had in mind during its high speed approach.

It swam by the bow of my boat. No harm done.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I like the Dolphins!

Comment

Some how I thought you would...I'm looking for a...Redskins but doubt I'll see one from my Kayak!

Comment

Working...
                X