Rose Haven report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Haven report

Work/travel kept me off the water for a month but finally got a few hours out this morning. Launched out of Rose Haven around 5am and soon found a small school of rockfish splashing around in 3-4ft. Picked off a few including a 21" fish on white bass assassins before they moved off. Nothing was happening near the harbor wall so I paddled toward Holland Point and really tore into them in 4-5ft of water close to the docks. I got 50+ fish, mostly rockfish but a dozen or so perch (incl. a couple of fat ones 12+"), and a 10" bluefish. Most of the rock were small (10-15") but three were keepers (released, though). Biggest was 24" - caught that on a big streamer on my 6wt fly rod. Lots of fun pulling in a lively rockfish on fly gear!

I was surprised to find so many rockfish so shallow given the water temp (82f), but wasn't complaining. Fishing was great right up until the Sun poked through the clouds, then went downhill quick. A small streamer fished deep on the fly rod probably would've continued to pull perch in most of the day but it gets hot quick in this Sun so I rolled out about 9:30am.

Met a fellow forum member on the way out with his Hobie. That's my first time up close to one of those kayaks... very nice! Have already started working on convincing the Better Half why I'd be so much happier and safer with one of those than my cheap paddle-powered kayak!

Karl

Great report, sounds like you had a fun morning. Save up for the dark side of kayaking, you won't be disappointed.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Would have been up there myself today but work and a move were in the way. Been fishing Holland Point on occasion these past weeks and it’s been that way. Tons of shorts with the occasional keeper.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Awesome - I'm glad they're hanging around. Not going to break any state records there but for entertainment value it's great.

Comment

Wow!! 50+ Fish with a 24 inch rock!! Fished from dawn to dusk...... Your my hero.
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
          X