Duct seal question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duct seal question.

I want to set up a shoot threw hull transducer setup. My question is to those of you that have used the duct seal, will it stick to the inside hull of the kayak well enough for car topping? My kayak spends most of its time upside down under the deck or while car topped. My question is if I may run into issues with the transducer moving around or the duct seal coming loose from inside the hull? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I have used duct seal for almost 2 years now without a problem. I rarely carry my boat upside down, but if it were to come loose, it is a simple matter to roll it around a bit and reattach it.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Comment

I store my kayak on its side on a rack on my fence. Duct seal sticks pretty well. As noted above, the nonpermanent nature of it makes it easy to just stick back on, if it does fall off.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

To help with good adhesion, plan to clean the area of your hull where the Duct Seal pad will go with rubbing alcohol before pushing the Duct Seal against the plastic. Push the transducer into the Duct Seal pad. Then run a strip of Duct Seal across the top to help hold the transducer in place. It should last a long time.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          To help with good adhesion, plan to clean the area of your hull where the Duct Seal pad will go with rubbing alcohol before pushing the Duct Seal against the plastic. Push the transducer into the Duct Seal pad. Then run a strip of Duct Seal across the top to help hold the transducer in place. It should last a long time.
          I used the method recommended by John -- alcohol first and then a pad of duct seal as he described.

E.JPG

My transducer has been in place since March 2014.

I car top my kayak, however I transport it and store it with the hull down.

I've also bounced over some big waves with it. The duct seal has been well shock-tested.

I've been impressed with how it adheres.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I both car topped and stored my tarpon upside down and never had an issue. You should be good to go.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
              I used the method recommended by John -- alcohol first and then a pad of duct seal as he described.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19418[/ATTACH]

My transducer has been in place since March 2014.

I car top my kayak, however I transport it and store it with the hull down.

I've also bounced over some big waves with it. The duct seal has been well shock-tested.

I've been impressed with how it adheres.
              Yours always looks so neat...
              I just removed mine after 2 yrs. it came off with a little effort but never moved during the past 2 yrs. ( re,over to relocate to new kayak )

Comment

I have followed the same procedure as John and Mark for 3 yrs. No problems.
                John Rentch
                Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Not sure if many do this approach.. but I cut out a foam block (like an open box), goop glued that to the hull. Then the duct seal in the "box" etc etc...
                  something like this ... and then a little bead around the top edge to lock it in place.

My "foam" box is more open on top and a little bigger than the transducer so plenty of duct seal can go inside than the one pictured.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys, should be setting it up sometime this weekend.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

IMG_0228.JPGIMG_0229.JPGIMG_0232.JPG
                      All in all it was a pretty painless process, and really wish I would have made the jump to use a fish finder years ago, just have to charge up my battery and I should be set. Thanks again everyone!

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Nice job.

I think that would survive a nuclear blast!

Good luck with the FF.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X