Skate Cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skate Cooking

Great article in todays Washington Post Food Section on the great taste of Skates! Yes skates do have value

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...8b3_story.html

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Outback LE #217

They can be very good if properly prepared.
    Red 2015 Hobie Outback
    Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

looks like true skate....like clear nosed skate.
      not cownosed ray
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

The Post did a review on the Baltimore restaurant Alma Cocina Latina and the featured dish is skate ravioli (they earned 3.5 out of 4 stars which is hard to get). Sounds like a road trip from the slower lower. Too bad those darn cow nose rays aren't as tasty. Hey, in my offseason the mind wanders to the edge of all things fish related.
        Mike
        Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Skates are a PIA...but no where near as big a PIA as cow nose rays...and trying to clean one is a challenge that I will pass on...too many fish that taste good without all the effort...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

There's a restaurant in DC called "Le Diplomate" that has an amazing skate dish and other great food too, if you haven't tried it before. I've never tried cow nose ray, but if it is as good as skate, I would have a go at it.
            J

Comment

True skate wings are similar to shark side meat. It is delicious! On the other hand, cow nosed rays ( I hear they will be protected shortly in MD ) is a completely different kind of meat.
              John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
              MK Endura Max 55 backup power
              Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                True skate wings are similar to shark side meat. It is delicious! On the other hand, cow nosed rays ( I hear they will be protected shortly in MD ) is a completely different kind of meat.
                Legislation is pending in Annapolis to ban bow tournaments in Maryland waters.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/news/e...131-story.html

If successful it may indeed lead to further regulation of traditional anglers keeping rays. But that is not the stated intent of the present legislation.

Some anglers may find any CNR limits unnecessarily restrictive. I wouldn't. I don't target them nor do I desire to eat them. I release those I accidentally hook as fast as I can. But I am troubled by tournaments that kill and merely discard so many creatures that are a non-invasive species of the Chesapeake. I may be in the minority but I hope the tournaments are stopped or at least regulated to reduce what appears to be unnecessary carnage.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I believe they were only recently changed to "non-invasive". Prior to that, they were considered to be a threat to the oyster and crab population in the bay.

I would really like to see the science on this as we are seeing more and more rays in the bay than ever before and the oysters are not making the comeback that was previously predicted.

"There has been concern about the increasing population size of cownose rays due to their high predation of oyster beds. The oyster population has been decreasing due to diseases and pollution reducing their grass bed habitat. It is thought that the cownose ray's high predation of oyster beds could further complicate the problem of declining oyster populations." (From the UofF)
                  John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                  MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                  Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

They must be talking about true slated similar to local clear noses skate (I've eaten a lot of Pacific skate)....there is little chance, imho, that these dishes contain CNR (referred to locally as "skate")

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

So in regards to cownose rays.....there was a "Bizarre Foods" episode centered around VA and the bay they cooked up a ray. They made it sound delicious! Check out the video about 9 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QORh702AOLM
                      Green Old Town Loon 111
                      Vibe Sea Ghost 110 - TeamGreen

Comment

Working...
                      X