Still in the Pink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still in the Pink

John Veil and I launched into Weems this morning. We were fortunate to meet Bignose (Stu) with his Old Town canoe at the ramp.

The tide was low and rising and winds were moderate. The water was a little cloudier than my last visit 5 days ago.

The key today was shade. I boated 19 white perch in a 2.5 hour outing and each but one was hooked in the shade. Once again my pink spinner was a hit.

I got perch of 9, 10, 11 and 12 inches with only few at 8 inches. Most were between 9 and 10. Weems presently has a large population of nice sized perch. A 13 incher remains elusive for me, however.

A.jpg B.JPG C.JPG D.JPG

As the sun rose higher and shade receded the white perch got harder to catch.

A pickerel was my last catch of the day.

E.jpg

I also caught two tiny stripers. I saw lots of bait fish on the surface but I didn't see feeding activity under them as I did last week.

None of us caught or saw a yellow perch.

Sadly, my pink spinner now sleeps with the fishes. It fell off of my line under the drawbridge...due to a shoddily tied Trilene knot. No cuts or frayed line. The knot just pulled loose. The good news is that I can make another spinner. Also, Stu gave me one of his spinner creations.

John, Stu and I finished out day at the Chinese buffet. John brought a bag of his largest white perch to the ladies who serve us there. They were quite happy with them.

So ended another Severn outing. I know from other reports that stripers are present in the big river. (Congrats to daddyg and his son.) But I really enjoy casting for white perch.
    Attached Files
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I didn't fare as well as Mark or John did with the fish. I only caught a dozen at most, and mine were nothing worth talking about. No Yellas, and no Pickerels, for me today.
    But the fish is the least important part of fishing.
    Good company is much more valuable.

Comment

I caught quite a few perch, but not the larger sized one like Mark got. I found one spot that had mixed perch and 6" stripers. A few minutes later, at another location, I cast out my ultralight rod and heard a singing drag with lots of rod bend. After a good fight, I boated and released an 18" striper.

It was a relaxing morning.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice perchin report; I'm going to the Canton for lunch today and ordering fish stew!
        ST

Comment

Glad you guys had a good outing hope to be back joining you soooon.
          Harry

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
            Glad you guys had a good outing hope to be back joining you soooon.
            Harry
            We hope so also!
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Glad you guys got isn't the WP. Also, nice that John took some to The Canton Restaurant. Know they enjoyed them, maybe even put on the menu!
              John Rentch
              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
              X