St Mary's Lake 6/29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Mary's Lake 6/29

I’ve been hitting the salt hard the past month with little to show for my efforts. Decided to revisit St Mary’s Lake (SML) as it had been too long since my last freshwater foray and I hoped for better success. The morning was stunning, no wind on the lake and a light mist rising above the water. I could see ripples from bluegills slurping insects off the surface with the occasional larger swirl to get the juices flowing. I headed off to my favorite morning spot and caught a crappie, yellow perch and pickerel in succession, three quarters of the way to the SML slam and not even 10 minutes into the day. I soon landed one of the numerous 12” bass that populate the lake and had my slam. Everything after that was gravy.

Picked up several more crappie, 3 bass and 2 pickerel in the next couple of hours. Action wasn’t fast and furious but it was constant and I lost several other bass when they jumped and threw my hook. Lead heads give them a distinct leverage advantage. As the sun rose above the trees the action slowed considerably and I was off the lake by 8:30. A perfect start to the day.

005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"
Working...
X