Hello. I would like to introduce myself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello. I would like to introduce myself

My name is Doug. I have loved fishing and crabbing all my life. Hell, I remember being like 3 or 4 and going off to flip rocks to find crayfish. Having turned 50 now, I recently added metal detecting to my list of hobbies - a sure sign I am getting old (LOL). Anyway, I bought two Future Beach Angler 126's, one for me and one for one of my sons, and spent the last month installing things on them to get ready to fish. We have a place in Ocean City and I plan to fish the bay with them for flounder and spot. Closer to home, I am interested in going out to fish for rockfish where it is feasible for me to do so and would love to learn from you guys who have experience. The Angler has a di-hull that can supposedly take pretty rough weather and chop. Ultimately I might get a bigger boat, especially if it is a necessity in getting to fish where I need to in order to be successful.

For tips on lures and kayak fishing in general, I spoke with Harry at BassPro, who was extremely helpful in pointing me to this and other sites, and I have been watching videos such as Zach Bennett and WV RiverRat trying to figure out what lures to use. Anyway, I want to thank them for the information and let you all know I would like to go to an event or otherwise hook up soon, so please let me know if you are interested. My boys are playing lacrosse for a few more upcoming weekends, but I should be open for fishing trips by mid/late July. Oh, and there is a better than even chance that I would be by myself, as my 16 yr. old is PW'd and my 14 year old is always with friends. But it would also be cool if they could go once in a while. I am open for trolling, casting, bottom fishing, whatever and definitely can fish based on what is going on/most productive.

Thanks
    Last edited by dmger14; 06-28-2016, 03:16 PM.

Welcome to Snaggedline, Doug.

You're fortunate to live near good tidal fishing here in A.A. County and also in O.C.

You're off to a good start talking to Harry and you'll learn a lot on this forum and during your future outings.

I hope to see you on local waters.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hey Doug. A good way to learn some of the ropes is to join other snaggedliners on their outings. You get a lot of the really good tips that most guys don't want on the web ;-) Most guys post up before they go to a certain area to see if anyone wants to tag along.

Welcome!
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Thanks guys! I will be checking the site.... and getting to use the kayak and fish finder to learn the ropes in the meantime.

Comment

Welcome, bud. You have discovered a fantastic source of information and camaraderie.

A great way to meet a bunch of kayak fisherman and woman is to sign up for the CBKF Tournament in Sept. It is not your typical tournament. It is fun, open and welcoming to folks of all levels and a great way to connect

Hope to see you on the water soon.
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Welcome Doug. You have come to a great place with lots of great guys and good advice. Hope to see you on the water sometime.
            Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Welcome to the forum Doug. Hope to see you on the water soon.
              Harry

Comment

Welcome Doug...My first tip is, if you have the standard seat you may consider upgrading it. From personal experience after an Hour or so those seat types can get mighty uncomfortable.

Comment

Oldbayrunner, and ideas on a good choice for upgrade? I have heard similar concerns, with some people saying they are ok so we'll see, but I suspect an upgrade will be forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                    Welcome to the forum Doug. Hope to see you on the water soon.
                    Harry
                    Thanks again for the time and effort to steer me in the right direction!

Comment

I will definitely look into that. Thanks

Comment

Welcome Doug.

There are great folks on this forum and you will receive lots and lots of tips from folks that are genuinely happy to help.
                        Here are two suggestions:

1. Pick up Alan Battista's (Yak67) and John Veil's (JVeil) books. They are both easy reads and full of good advice. They are the perfect pasttime in between those LAX tournament games :-)

2. Before buying more gear for your kayak, get out on the water and do some paddling and fishing. Get to know the nuances of your boat, because each boat is unique and what works for me, may not work for you. You may discover what seemed like a good idea on dry land will not work once you get on the water.

Looking forward to to seeing you out there.

Tight Lines!
                        -manny

Hobie Outback
                        Wilderness Systems 130T
                        Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
                          Welcome Doug.

1. Pick up Alan Battista's (Yak67) and John Veil's (JVeil) books. They are both easy reads and full of good advice. They are the perfect pasttime in between those LAX tournament games :-)
                          Manny - thanks for the book plugs. To avoid confusion, Alan Battista's board name is Yak Fish (Yak67 is another person). My board name is J.A. Veil.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            Manny - thanks for the book plugs. To avoid confusion, Alan Battista's board name is Yak Fish (Yak67 is another person). My board name is J.A. Veil.
                            Thanks for the correction John; this is what happens when you try to write out a response when you are half asleep.
                            -manny

Hobie Outback
                            Wilderness Systems 130T
                            Hobie Outfitter

Comment

As to what lures I'm finding after stocking up on numerous ones that I reach for the basics most of the time as they are the most productive. Paddle tails and jigs heads work and are cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X