Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What a difference a week makes. 6/17 and 6/26 on the Patapsco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference a week makes. 6/17 and 6/26 on the Patapsco.

Snuck out of work early on the 17th and got on the water by 5:30pm and was pleased to see slick calm water and little boat traffic. I spent two hours trolling normally productive spots, searching shallow and deep, with little to no marks on the FF. I was determined to stick it out for awhile longer, but moved closer to my launch as the sun started getting low in the sky. I was within 100 yards of the launch when I started to see CNRs breaking the surface all around me, at one point one came up and smacked the bottom of the yak. Next thing the FF screen lights up and both my rods go down, felt head shakes on the one and seemingly dead weight on the other. After seeing it was a ray on the one I salvaged most of my leader so I could concentrate on what felt like a rockfish. Nice frisky 17 inch fish. Spent the next hour catching around 20 fish, all in the 15" to 25"
    class, all in less than 10' of water. Didn't take any home as I was headed out of town in the morning. Lure getting eaten was a 5" xrap, white/clear with a hint of orange on the underside. 4 inch paddle tails got some action as well, also in transparent white.

Got a late start yesterday on the water around 8. Got into a lot of dinks/schoolies almost immediately. Hung around the spot for an hour or so hoping to find a better class of fish hanging around with them with no luck. Left fish in search of better fish, found some birds working but whatever they were on was quickly displaced by a swarm of power boats. Came back to the spot I had success the previous week, found nothing but short fish, biggest being 15". Left around 1:30 to get home to the hunny do list, glad to at least had a tug on the line. Never got one bite on a hardbait. 4" and 5" paddle tails clear with silver/blue flecks were the only thing that got a bite.

I did notice quite a few keeper size floaters coming in with the tide with fat bellies. They all had large redish streaks on their side and fat bellies,
    I kept my distance as the looked pretty nasty. I'm not sure if they were released fish that didn't make it or if they just died due to some environmental problem. Water temps were topping at 82 according to my FF(transducer ready hobie), possibly getting too warm for bigger fish?

I need to catch up with one of you guys some time and learn what your doing to catch these rockfish.
    I've tried but never had any luck so I usually end up just fishing for perch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
      I need to catch up with one of you guys some time and learn what your doing to catch these rockfish.
      I've tried but never had any luck so I usually end up just fishing for perch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Haha. Me too. I had a decent amount of luck back in the spring, but since the season opened up, I've had a hell of a time finding them and when I do, they're not keepers.

Spent about 6 hrs on the Severn today and the only rock I caught was while perching and it was ~5". Probably saw about ten floating fish down there, as well. A couple small rock, some perch, and one or two that looked like they might have been shad. I hope it's not an environmental thing.

I also might have hooked a small bluefish right before I called it a day as 6-8" fish flipped off my hook and the front of my kayak and my gulp was nearly bit in half.
      Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Working...
      X