fish id help.....outer banks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fish id help.....outer banks

need help with positive id on the top fish caught in Corolla, NC, just south of Virginia Beach
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

I'm going to say bonito, though it may be a false albacore.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

by the mouth i would say some sort of part of the tuna family. it sure looks like a typical east coast bonita to me
      Rich
      Hobie Pro Angler 2014 (Torqeedo Powered), Torqeedo solar panel with custom frame, Lowrance Elite-7 Chirp, sidekick (modified to fit)

Comment

frigate mackerel or juvenile false albacore. the other is a bluefish...
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...e-Mackerel.pdf

I second the frigate mackerel. You down in obx often Kevin? i'm actually going there myself in august.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
            http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...e-Mackerel.pdf

I second the frigate mackerel. You down in obx often Kevin? i'm actually going there myself in august.
            nah....son is there, counting on his dad to know everything....lol

Comment

Ok....just is in. Frigate mackerel

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                need help with positive id on the top fish caught in Corolla, NC, just south of Virginia Beach
                Kevin, did you fish from your kayak?
                Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
                Predator 13

Comment

I was not fishing, my son was.....surf fishing. I'm stuck watching the granddog

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Comment

I just got back from OBX Buxton Area, didn't do to well in the yak but I left my wheels at home and had to have the father in law help rooftop the Outback when I wanted to go so i only took it out 2x. Did get on a charter and landed 5 cobia, 1 for citation, and a few handful red drum. one 35" and one 34" the rest were slot keepers. I will have to start making some De trips and learn a lil more about salt before next years OBX trip.
                    2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                    LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

yak scientist, what week are you in OBX ? I'm going 8-20 thru 8-27. Don't know about taking kayaks, probably will. Finding a couple of books on amazon, didn't get yet, about kayak launch sites for sound fishing. Still new and not going in ocean yet! Let me know if you find any good info. Thanks Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by JesseH View Post
                        yak scientist, what week are you in OBX ? I'm going 8-20 thru 8-27. Don't know about taking kayaks, probably will. Finding a couple of books on amazon, didn't get yet, about kayak launch sites for sound fishing. Still new and not going in ocean yet! Let me know if you find any good info. Thanks Jesse
                        I'm going to be down 8/13-8/20 and staying in Avon, not sure where you'll be at. But if you'd like to meet up and fish, I'm always up for that. I don't know if I'm bringing my kayak however, because my brother will probably be towing his jet skis down, and we also might bring down a small 19' runabout, so we'll most likely fish off that often. Usually I fish from the beach, the pier, or we take the boat out to one of the artificial reefs and fish there.

Comment

Working...
                        X