Severn Perch Aim to Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn Perch Aim to Please

John Veil, John Rentch and I split up and made a swing through two Severn tributaries today. We each had a good outing boating lots of white perch. John Rentch even got a couple of yellow perch and I ran into some very small stripers.

My first catch of the day was a 10.5 inch white perch that escaped from my kayak. I had it measured on my Hawg Trough but it jumped off and flopped around wildly on the floor of my kayak. Of course It wound up under my seat. I managed to slide it out and once more lined it up on the Hawg Trough for a photo. But another burst of energy sent it over the gunnel and back to its home.

I called on the radio to inform the two Johns that I had just caught a 10.5 incher but it jumped out of my boat. John V. replied that perhaps I should “turn in my man card” for letting a 10.5 inch perch overwhelm me.

But I earned my man card back on my very next catch:

A.jpg

The above 12 inch white perch hit a purple and pink jig spinner. Come to think of it, I must indeed have a man card to have the confidence to fish with a pink lure! That lure was the only one I threw all day. The 12 incher also established a pattern that would hold throughout the morning. I would cast to shorelines or dock pilings, but rarely was my lure hit near structure. My hookups occurred well away from the structure and close to my kayak. I felt 3 bumps before hooking the fish in the photo . Clearly they were in a mood to follow today.

But something else was happening. I saw many instances of baitfish breaking the surface, even flying from the water over splashes. Perhaps you can see the action in this photo:

B.jpg

I lost track of the number of times I saw surface disturbances like this. Many were much larger and wilder. I assumed stripers were causing death and destruction just below the surface in those locations. I was right but I was also disappointed. The stripers causing the splashes were minor leaguers learning their craft. I caught about 10 of these guys by casting into the top water frays:

C.jpg

Hooking none larger I ignored those disturbances for the rest of the day.

The Severn’s white perch, however, were large today. Looking at my photos, most were between 9 and 10 inches. I caught no small ones and I caught 21 in total plus lost a few more that came unbuttoned. It was a good day, my best day so far this year for catching white perch.

D.jpg E.JPG F.jpg

I am a catch and release angler. Rarely do I keep a fish. I returned all my white perch today. But I did keep one of my catches. I got this fatty on top water close to shore and I brought it home.

G.jpg

My grandkids will enjoy it and I won’t even have to filet it.
    Attached Files
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Great report Mark! The size perch you were catching looks very encouraging. I look forward to getting out there and joining the fun in July!

Comment

My morning on Weems was fairly productive, tons of WP, none the size of Marks, but lots in the 10-11". My big catch were two Yellow Perch. The first was about 4", let it go carefully with no picture. The second was at the end of the morning as I was heading back to the launch-at least 8-9", got it to the yak, then it slipped off. Still, great to know the YP are in Weems- hopefully there are a few more around somewhere!
      Last edited by J. Rentch; 06-24-2016, 07:35 PM.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

It was an enjoyable, low-key outing this morning. While we stood at the ramp waiting to launch, I spotted breaking fish 200 yds away. We were all excited and launched quickly. As Mark noted, they were very small stripers banging on the abundant 1.5" baitfish. Weems was full of bait today.

As I exited Weems and paddled to another creek, I saw many rays at the creek mouth. I did not hook any.

I too had a 12" perch caught at a spot that had historically been a dependable perch and pickerel hole. For the past two years it produced very few fish. I was pleased to see that fish had returned there today. I caught one pickerel early in the trip. All my fish today were caught on a Bignose spinner.

I spotted a large brownish-red fish rolling at the surface in a cove near the Weems mouth. I believe it was a carp. I only saw it for a few seconds.

Mark and I celebrated our catch by eating at the nearby Canton Chinese restaurant. The friendly ladies who work there recognized us and asked us if we had been fishing today. They are always curious about what we caught.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

We have got to take some WP to these ladies soon!
          John Rentch
          Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
          Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Mark and I celebrated our catch by eating at the nearby Canton Chinese restaurant. The friendly ladies who work there recognized us and asked us if we had been fishing today. They are always curious about what we caught.

John,

Was that the restaurant over by Graul's? If not, then where?

John
            John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
            MK Endura Max 55 backup power
            Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post

John,

Was that the restaurant over by Graul's? If not, then where?

John
              The Canton Restaurant, 11 Ridgley Avenue, Annapolis, MD
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Thanks Mark, I'll have to try it out after a day of fishing.

John
                John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
                MK Endura Max 55 backup power
                Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Glad to hear that you guys were able to find find that were hungry and happy to join you in the boat. Sounds like you had the white perch trip you have been looking for!

Great report!!
                  Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                  Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
                    Thanks Mark, I'll have to try it out after a day of fishing.

John
                    Excellent buffet and service.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                      Sounds like you had the white perch trip you have been looking for!
                      Yes. I was beginning to doubt my ability and technique. There's no doubt the perch are back in their familiar places.
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Great report!
                        Glad that you were able to get into them today!
                        I hope to get back there next week.

BTW, what are the DNR regs concerning soccer balls?
                        Catch and keep?

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                          Great report!
                          BTW, what are the DNR regs concerning soccer balls?
                          Catch and keep?
                          Definitely an invasive species. Catch and keep.
                          Mark
                          Pasadena, MD

Comment

One thing is for sure Mark...If you have to turn in your card a lot of us will be ..."Card less"! Great job as always! P/U 4 packs of bodies from BPS Saturday and they work great on the vice. Just havent tried they out yet and that I will remedy very soon!

eyedaddy

Comment

Mark,

Great report to hear that the local creeks are warming up....and more than just the water temps....did you take any of those WP on the new four weight?

Regards,
                              ST

Comment

Working...
                              X