Massachusetts Kayak Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massachusetts Kayak Trip

I had a work trip planned to MA and was able to come up early to get some fishing in. We hit the Boston Harbor, Buzzard's Bay and North Shore over the weekend. We fished hard and while fishing was not as productive as some of my past trips up here we still caught a lot of fish and we caught some new species which is always cool.

Friday - Boston Harbor - You know what they say about sunset pictures... straight skunk! We were watching a cell of T-Storms on the radar and missed peak current bc we did not want to be too far from the car when they broke loose. They ended up bypassing our location but it made for a weird night with no real current to be found. We marked some fish but they had lock jaw.

DSCN0498.jpgDSCN0496.jpg

Saturday - Buzzard's Bay - We were hoping to catch the tail end of the Black Sea Bass run but that seems to be winding down. We caught a few but none of the really large ones so we let them all go. In the process of trying we did stumble on a pile of Flounder (FLOOOK to the northern tribe) and proceeded to catch them for the rest of the day. Keeper size is 16" @ 5 fish up there and we easily caught a 3 or 4 man limit. We opted to only keep the 18" or larger fish and came home with 8 with the largest being about 22". It was an awesome day of flounder fishing (my best ever) and once we made strip bait out of a sea robin it was game on while the other kayakers in the area watched. It was kind of a weird scene, there were about 4 other kayakers out there in the same area but none of them were social at all and wouldn't talk to us. They would however try to edge us out of our spots. It was pretty weird but kinda awesome to be catching more fish than them... At one point I had three founder on at the same time because I was fishing a second rod in a rod holder. That was definitely a first! We also met some cool dudes from NH that had a very tricked out islander with a motor, cooler, and storage box on it. The second passenger was riding on the cooler and the motor was powering the kayak. Seemed like an awesome fishing machine for big water!

DSCN0508.jpgDSCN0505.jpgDSCN0501.jpgDSCN0500.jpgDSCN0499.jpgIMG_5140.jpgIMG_5145.jpg
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Sunday - Woke up early again and headed north towards Gloucester to target Cod, Stripers and Winter Flounder. We found our goals but not in the quantities we would have liked and had another weird day of not that much current. I hooked one long and skinny striper at the boat but he spit the hook in the ensuing fight. It was cool watching the fish come up in the crystal clear water and hit a 10" plastic! The water up there is so clear you can see 20ft down to the bottom. It's like the Caribbean! We left the striper grounds to look for cod and on the way found several schools of harbor pollock. I couldn't resist dropping a sabiki down (hoping for mackerel) and I ended up hooking up on every hook. It was a mess. I forgot how much I hate sabiki rigs but I now remember clearly. I hate them. We then went over to some ledges to look for cod and both hooked up almost immediately! Thinking we found the spot and it was going to be game on we elected to release the cod (1 fish per person limit and we took extra care to reel them slowly up). That ended up costing us dinner as after that it was only odd bottom species that all made our oyster toads seem friendly. Everything had spikes in pretty much every inch of their bodies. After a few hours of non-action we bailed and tried to save the day on winter flounder. We finally found a few and started to put the pattern together when a boat saw the action and came and anchored up on our spot. We still caught a few more but apparently anchoring is the way to go for these fish because these guys caught way more than us. We thought it was odd because they were keeping everything and we thought the limit was 16". Turns out it was 12" and we threw dinner back again! Oh well, we brought 1 home and it was great. We couldn't tell the difference between the summer vs the winter flounder.

DSCN0516.jpgDSCN0530.jpgDSCN0536.jpgDSCN0535.jpgDSCN0534.jpgDSCN0533.jpgDSCN0526.jpgDSCN0525.jpgDSCN0524.jpgDSCN0523.jpg

Great trip all in all and I can't wait to go back to MA to fish again!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Wow, you always seem to do awesome up there!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice variety of fish.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

Awesome report thanks for sharing!
          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

awesome, thanks for sharing!
            sigpic

Comment

Nice report! I fish buzzards bay whenever I can. I'm a transplant from DE. Try to make the seabass, early part of the season, if you can. It is worth it. The locals up here aren't friendly initially, but they warm up over time. I blame it on the cold winters. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a great trip. Love how clear the waters are up there!

Thanks fir sharing.
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Working...
                X